PDA

View Full Version : Lioness

Hilary Hann
11-13-2012, 12:39 AM
After the last few months of hectic preparation for exhibitions and other time consuming stuff, I am really glad to spend some time looking at wildlife again, I've missed them.

Nothing special, but I like the way she seems vaguely interested in what I'm doing.

7D; 100-400 @ 170; ISO 1600; 1/500 @ f7.1 Photographed around 6pm.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1708"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
11-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Hi Hilary - nice straight on portrait and eye contact. Dof works well too. I think you're right that she is checking out what you're doing. Impressive results at ISO 1600 on the 7D, I don't usually push mine that high. My only suggestion is that I might reduce the reds slightly on the lioness.

TFS,
Rachel

Andre van As
11-13-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Hllary
Great shot of this lioness looking right at you. Lions often keep their heads low and with the very prominent brows that they have it is difficult to get a clear shot of the eyes. The light seems to be a little flat - was it overcast? I presume the sun had not yet set?

Regards

Andre

Steve Kaluski
11-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Hi Hilary nice to see you posting here again, certain an image that grabs you with that look :S3:

As you were there you know the light, but I can't help feel a little warmth helps? There is more sharpness/clarity that can extracted, and again, the Blacks & Whites are quite contrasty IMHO. Certain an 'in your face' image and therefore I think it would be worth revising around the eyes and the eyes to bring out more detail, nice detail in the nose, but watch the blacks. Personally I have been going away in the amount of black being introduced as it's the mid tones where your detail is which with give you your forum, plus have been looking into other areas to help 'sculpt' the image. I know this goes away from your OP, but this was the direction I was thinking of?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
11-13-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi Hilary,

Great image. They eyes appear to me that this lioness looks straight to your left hand or might to another person standing/sitting beside you a bit up!
With the color and sharpening what Steve suggest and his example I agree.
When I see correct there are 1-2 flies on her nose, I might would clean those up with healing brush or fill/content aware.

Ciao
Anette

Hilary Hann
11-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Thank you for all the feedback, much appreciated and I'll try to respond.
Andre, it was very overcast but I don't think the sun had set completely (I think that is around 6.30). I have some cub photos from the same sighting but I haven't had as much luck with processing them effectively.
Steve, I like the extra detail you have achieved but possibly the extra warmth has accentuated the red noted by Rachel. I quite like it and frankly, it doesn't really matter if it wasn't as warm as that when captured if it looks natural after pp.
Anette, thanks for the suggestions. I have no trouble with cloning out the flies but I actually like them in this context.

My biggest current issue is balancing 'flatness' with too much contrast. So Andre notes the flat light (true) and Steve comments on too much contrast between white and black. So I have obviously not processed the image effectively to get a good balance. I shall shoot you an email Steve. Do I need more contrast in the mid tones whilst dropping it between the highlights and shadows.

Morkel Erasmus
11-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Lovely details in this one, Hilary. Steve's repost works well, though I would like to see it with the reds backed off a touch.
I think your last suggestion has merit - try and up midtone contrast while bringing down brights and shadows contrast and see the result?
I too don't mind warming it up even if the light was 'gone'.

Good result from what many would call an "unusable ISO" on the 7D :w3

Steve Kaluski
11-14-2012, 06:20 AM
When I see correct there are 1-2 flies on her nose, I might would clean those up with healing brush or fill/content aware.

No, No Anette, it's all part of the character, charm and location, these flies are integral I feel. :w3

try and up midtone contrast while bringing down brights and shadows contrast and see the result?

Double processing Hilary, or adjusting in the RAW converter, exporting from LR/ACR to PS to keep the best results IMHO.

Hilary Hann
11-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you for all the feedback, I will have another go at trying to get my mid tones better. Maybe with this image or I might use another from the same sighting. Invaluable advice as always.

Andreas Liedmann
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi Hillary,
appealing tight portrait shot , with a interesting look of those shiny eyes.

Steve pushed it in a better direction, but i think went a bit too far with the reds, like Morkel said.Some nice depth in the face now.

TFS Andreas