PDA

View Full Version : Bat-Eared Fox

Morkel Erasmus
11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
As I mentioned, I am working through a heap of untouched images from last year November's trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. This Bat-Eared fox was photographed near Leeuwdril in the very last light of day.
I will be going back in 2 weeks (and should be getting a D800 in the next week or so :tinysmile_shy_t:). This image was taken with the D7000, a great camera in its price/market segment which I will miss (have to let it go to get the D800).

Techs:
Nikon D7000 with Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II + 1.4xTC @ 700mm
f5.6 @ 1/320 SS @ ISO-1600

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1709"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Hilary Hann
11-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Lovely little portrait, nice and clean. Have fun with the new camera.

Rachel Hollander
11-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Hi Morkel - nice pose and eye contact. For some reason I'm not loving the catchlights on this one.:eek3: I know you don't like to clone but I find the grey areas in the bg slightly distracting, they look like huge dust bunnies :S3:. I'm sure you will continue to capture great images with the new camera.

TFS,
Rachel

Lorant Voros
11-12-2012, 10:36 PM
You will be better off with the D800. Looking forward to see what you will share with us after your trip. Nice portrait of this little fellow. Nice how it stands out from the BG. Eyes look a bit funny. Maybe a bit more sharpening?

Morkel Erasmus
11-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks folks. Rachel - catchlights are natural...:e3...and the 'dust bunnies' are OOF rocks...:S3:

You will be better off with the D800. Looking forward to see what you will share with us after your trip. Nice portrait of this little fellow. Nice how it stands out from the BG. Eyes look a bit funny. Maybe a bit more sharpening?

Lorant, I use and will continue to use the D3s as my main wildlife camera. The D7000 was my 2nd body usually coupled with my 70-200mm. I'll use the D800 for static animal shots, animalscapes and of course landscape photography. :c3:

Rachel Hollander
11-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi Morkel - I realize they are oof rocks, I just find them slightly distracting. I think Lorant is onto something with maybe a bit more sharpening to the eyes.

Cheers,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
11-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Hi Morkel, I like the look back pose and the low POV, very nice. Think I too would look at the rocks and some selective sharpening. Nice placement in the frame, good to see these guys out and not being too, skittish. Like the colouration throughout the image. Not sure what the faint white line is just coming off the arch of the back about half way down, LHS going into the OOF rocks?

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
11-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Hi Morkel lovely look and pose of these cute little guys, and too rarely seen by myself.

Like the KFTP colors in here, and the catchlight in the eyes.As usual nicely processed.

Though i am not a fan of center placement in this case , i would go tighter on LHS.

TFS Andreas