PDA

View Full Version : Dark-eyed Junko.

Karl Egressy
11-12-2012, 01:19 PM
I went to a place where I found three huge knocked over trees after, Sandy.
I found a small flock of mostly Dark-eyed Juncos feeding on one.
I have no idea what the found there.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D M IV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS + 1.4 III TC
Manual Setting
f 6.3
1/500 s
ISO 800
fill flash at -2 2/3

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1716"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
11-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Karl:

Good job making lemonade out of Sandy's fallout. I like the colors, pose, BG, esp. the purple.

I might tone down the trunk in the lower right corner to reduce its impact a bit more. It would be possible to crop up a bit as well without crowding the feet too much, but personal taste.

Cheers

Randy

gary ellwein
11-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Alot to like Karl, the soft complimentary bg, pose, feather detail and eye contact. Agree with Randy that toning down the trunk highlights would help. It looks like you got the fiil flash just right.

Bill Dix
11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Nice pose and exquisite feather detail. Another vote to tone down the trunk highlights. Lovely soft bg.

Karl Egressy
11-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Randy, Gary and Bill.
I toned down the highlihts of the trunk.
Here it is.

gail bisson
11-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I really like the BG and the IQ and feather detail are excellent. Nice pose as well and well placed in the frame.
I do find the color of the junco to be off ie. a lot of purple. Perhaps the light created the purple tone to the usually black feathers?
Gail

Dan Busby
11-12-2012, 08:03 PM
Gorgeous Karl. I really like the opposing angles of the bird and the perch. Great detail. As per Gail, I often find that slight magenta cast in these birds - never quite sure if it should be "corrected" or left alone because that's how they show. I don't know what caused it but I see some jaggy edges to the purplish background above the bird and to the right. Compression artifact perhaps. The white under parts seem a tad greyish compared to ones I see around here. Might those be pieces of corn or seed under the bird's left foot?

Karl Egressy
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I really like the BG and the IQ and feather detail are excellent. Nice pose as well and well placed in the frame.
I do find the color of the junco to be off ie. a lot of purple. Perhaps the light created the purple tone to the usually black feathers?
Gail
Thanks Gail. I'm not sure. I would see different individuals with slightly different colours. Some are really dark some are light slate coloured.
Of course the sorrounding and the light makes a difference too.

Grace Scalzo
11-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Great eye contact, sharp with good details. Color cast and background issues noted.

Stu Bowie
11-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Hi Karl, lovely angled pose, and sharp where it counts. The BG colours compliment the bird nicely, and well done on your repost.

Petros Petrou
11-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Great pose, detail, eye contact and a nice soft BG. Excellent use of fill-flash. The repost is even better.

David Salem
11-13-2012, 04:28 AM
Like the shot and re-post is even better. Great detail and exposure. Nice BG and nice overall scene. Great job..

Daniel Cadieux
11-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Lovely junco, superb details. The BG is so nice that I konda wish for a looser comp to see more of it. Still nice as is. Belly seems a tad grayish as per Dan B. Excellent work overall, with the repost being an improvement.

Satish Ranadive
11-13-2012, 10:02 AM
Absolutely superb image of junco.Love the pose,colors,superb sharpness,lights and beautiful complimentary colors of backdrop.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
11-13-2012, 04:50 PM
I like the sharpness, details, HA and BG. Repost looks better. Well done Karl!

William Giokas
11-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Nice shot. Bill