Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = Nikkor 105.0 mm f/2.8 VR
HH, Flash with strobela.

A closeup with the same salamander...

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2041"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jerry van Dijk
11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Hi Adrian, very cool species and a very cool pose! I've never been fortunate enough to encounter one of these. I like that you caught so many details that the texture of the skin is visible. I'm not really fond of the OOF leaf that's sticking up, but compositionwise I think you handled it in the best possible way. I think the image could gain some extra power to enhance the eyes of the salamander like you would do with a bird (contrast, brightness). See how you like my try.

Adrian David
11-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Thank you Jerry! I like how the eyes look after your PP...Although in reality the eyes are almost as shiny as the skin of the salamander...They are totally black and there is a very minimal difference between them and the skin...But, I must admit that the photo does look better with the shiny eyes...:cheers:

Jonathan Ashton
11-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Adrian the salamander is good but i think you are on a bit of a hiding to nothing with the background, it is very busy and contrasting and it occupies more than 2/3 of the area of the frame. I think Jerry has brightened the eyes nicely and it does tend to focus attention a little more.
I am not too sure what you could do to the background without it looking as though it had been doctored - maybe someone else has some suggestions?

Steve Maxson
11-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Hi Adrian. I like the low shooting angle and the head-on view. If I was an earthworm, I'd be pretty worried! :S3: I also like what Jerry has done with the eyes. The background is rather busy (as Jon points out), but it is not bothering me that much. Overall, this is another very nice image of this colorful salamander!

Jerry van Dijk
11-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Adrian, if this were mine and the workover on the eyes looks unnatural, I'd refrain from applying it, even when it looks better.

Adrian David
11-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Thank you Jerry! Don't bother too much...It is not a state of the art photo....it is just one of the very few I've could get, with this elusive creature...Next year, I hope to encounter other salamanders to get the picture I want...That was
"the first contact"....:5

Ken Childs
11-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Adrian, the low angle works great here and Jerry's repost addresses one of the main problems I noticed right away.....the eyes were too dark. With the repost, there is more of a connection with the creature. The BG is a bit busy but for the most part, that doesn't bother me. What is bothering me is the bright leaf just to the left of the sally. Taking that leaf down a step or 2 would be a good idea, IMHO.