PDA

View Full Version : Northern Shoveler Male - smooth sailing ahead

Randy Stout
11-10-2012, 09:12 PM
This shoveler was quite cooperative, and gave me several nice passes. The reflection helps show off that iconic bill, I think. I liked the little pops of different colors along his flanks.

D4 600VR 1/1600s f/6.3 ISO 500 Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: Selective sharpening, removed a partially submerged leaf and a couple of small spots.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1704"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

John Cooper
11-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Another nice reflection Randy, though not quite as dynamic as your previous post. Good lighting, sharp and the pano crop makes for a strong composition.

Marina Scarr
11-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Well done, Randy. Nice reflection and I like the soft swirls in the water. They add a nice touch.

Satish Ranadive
11-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Fabulous image of Shoveler Sir.I like the panorama crop,beautiful colors and reflection.
Shovelres are arrived here in Pune few weeks back.Hope to get some good pictures.

Regards,
Satish.

Bill Dix
11-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Love these birds. You've caught him nicely, with great colors. Good reflection including sharp eye, and nice water.

Stu Bowie
11-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Hi Randy, no mistaking this guy with their large bills, and you have brought out the colours on him nicely, especially the head. Good reflection, simple comp, and interesting to see the difference between the top half of the water, and the bottom half ( which of course has created that perfect reflection. )

gary ellwein
11-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi Randy, sharp image, super reflection, well exposed, beautiful bg. Among the ducks , I've found these guys to be among the most cooperative.

Karl Egressy
11-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Very nice image, Randy. This individual looks like is in full breeding plumage. I like the colours, plumage, reflection and th pano crop fits the image well.

dankearl
11-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Well done exposure wise, they are really difficult for me, as hard as Buffleheads to get right.
Yours looks perfect.

Randy Stout
11-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks everyone.

Even though I have seen a lot of shovelers, my keepers have been few, so I was pleased this fellow not only looked good, but came in close enough to work with.

Dan - since I spend so much time with loons, I have gotten pretty used to dynamic range challenging birds!

The D4 has really helped in that regard, easily a stop more dynamic range than my D700.

Cheers

Randy