PDA

View Full Version : Winter Wren

Karl Egressy
11-09-2012, 09:34 PM
I made a mistake. Out of laziness, I did not carry the flash.
I carry it almost always when I shoot from tripod but not this time.
As the light direction was terrible at that spot I really missed the fill flash and I was angry at myself.
I tried to correct this mistake in photoshop but it is just not the same.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 1D MIV
Canon 500 f4.0 L IS
Manual Setting
f7.1
1/1000 s
ISO 800

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1642"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
11-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Karl:

Sharp, well exposed, great detail in foot. The catchlight is quite interesting. I think the lightening under the chin is a bit overdone, doesn't look entirely natural.

It is tempting to go light sometimes, leave some bits home, but it seems like nature has a way of pointing out our errors in judgement from time to time!

Cheers

Randy

Cheers

Randy

John Cooper
11-09-2012, 10:59 PM
A lovely little bird Karl - very sharp and the angled lighting has given some nice modelling to the wren. I can relate to forgetting a piece of necessary equipment Karl, and yes a bit of fill would have been handy here.

Satish Ranadive
11-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Excellent image.I like the lights and catch light in the eye.
Love the pose,colors,details and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
11-10-2012, 10:39 AM
I like the pose, raised tail, big feet and details. Nice image Karl.

Maya Raut
11-10-2012, 11:06 AM
I like the sharpness, pose and raised tail...wish you had your flash with you and this image would have been different.

gail bisson
11-10-2012, 02:14 PM
I like the raised tail and good DOF here.
I think it looks fine without the flash,
Gail

Dan Busby
11-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi Karl. First, I think it's a great shot of the species - nice side profile, tail pumped, and a typical woodland perch with opening behind. I am not sure a flash would have helped much. It may have thrown a bit of light on the breast but from my pov it's the harsh light that has taken this one down a notch. Some of the feathers look a bit crunchy, presumably from sun angle, especially on the back of the bird. Perhaps the sharpening process has also contributed. But not to take away from an otherwise great shot. I have chased these guys many times and have not come up with anything as good.

Peter Dexter
11-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I think the natural light is a little harsh and maybe fill flash would have helped. Nevertheless great sharp capture of this very active sculker.