PDA

View Full Version : Scaup Hen riding the wave in quiet water

Randy Stout
11-09-2012, 09:25 PM
This young lady was imaged this AM, quiet, still morning. I liked the matching colors in the water, reflection, clean water. Interesting cropping options, as I needed a fair amount of vertical because of the reflection, didn't want to go too square, so left a fair amount on the right. I could crop tighter from the left, but likd the wake action and colors there. Your thoughts on the crop appreciated.

D4 600VR f/6.3 1/1600s ISO 500 Gitzo/Wimberley

Post: Selective sharpening, crop for comp, minor water clean up (few small spots)

Cheers

Randy

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1704"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Karl Egressy
11-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Wow, the reflection is just as sharp as the original. Although the back of the head looks a little dark it is an excellent shot, Randy.

Randy Stout
11-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Thanks Karl:

The light was well off to the right, but the reflection was so good, and the water so clean, I still liked it. I have attached a slight recropping, which I think has a bit better balance.

Cheers

Randy

John Cooper
11-09-2012, 09:57 PM
A wonderful reflection Randy and I quite like the angled lighting that gives some modelling to the Scaup hen. The matching chocolate colour of the hen and the water work well here and adds impact. I think your repost gives a tad stronger composition . A very tranquil image that i wouldn't mind hanging on the wall..!!

dankearl
11-10-2012, 02:32 AM
You could turn it upside down and hardly know it, the reflection is so good.
Very nice water and wake in front of the scaup and the usual nice IQ.

Shawn Zierman
11-10-2012, 04:10 AM
Gorgeous image. Reflection is a 10 of 10.
Prefer the spacious OP, but either image "works" imo.

Satish Ranadive
11-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Randy Sir:
Marvelous image.Both the compositions are very nice,personally I liked second one.
Love the wonderful reflection and water pearl on lady behind the neck.Rest as usual magnificent.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
11-10-2012, 10:36 AM
Excellent image Randy! I like the reflection, IQ, sharpness and calm water. I find it a bit tight at the top. I tried a version with more room at the top and liked it, although it did make it a bit more square. Still a beauty as presented.

Maya Raut
11-10-2012, 11:08 AM
I liked the repost..Love the wave in water, reflection, sharpness and IQ...very well done.

Bill Dix
11-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Love that bow wave. Great reflection. I like both comps, although I agree with Jim that I'm wanting just a tad more on top. Maybe the repost, with just a little added top and right?? A fine shot in any case.

Randy Stout
11-10-2012, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone:

Lots of ways to crop this one, so appreciate your input!

Cheers

Randy

gail bisson
11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Hi Randy,
The thumbnail doesn't do this justice.
I like the Op the best.
I feel it needs a bit of CW rotation.
Great exposure on the blacks and whites and a killer reflection.
Well done,
Gail