PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Image of the Week for the week ending October 5th, 2012: Jamie Douglas - Pacific whale tail

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM
Congratulations Jamie!

The humpback whale (Megaptera novaeangliae) has to be one of the most awesome mammals on the planet and while I was out on a tour with the Tofino Whale Centre last week, we were treated to a very exciting encounter when we got a call over the radio from one of the other tour boats to say they had found a flirtatious whale ten miles out to sea. This whale spent roughly 30 minutes swimming alongside and underneath our boat. At one point I did think to myself, I hope this whale doesn't have a change of heart. The first nation captain explained that this was only the 2nd time in thirteen years that he has seen this behavior and he goes out every day. Not sure if he was fishing for tips but it made the experience a little more special.

*The image was made from the back of the boat when the whale surfaced and then went underneath us. The tour boats are regulated to keep a certain distance but if the whale chooses to come close then that is the whale’s choice. It came up spy hopping three times almost an arm reach from the boat and I only wish I had a hand grip strap for my 7D so I could have hung the camera off the side of the boat and got a lower angle.

* Sorry Jamie, had to edit the images and text, only one image per thread in a Critique is allowed, as per Rule 19.

One of the best 30 minutes of my life.

Famous last words before we boarded the boat...

My brother: "Do you think you will need your polarizer?"
Me:"Nah" if we encounter a whale it will probs be too far from teh boat".

Main image techs, Canon 7D with Canon 17-40 at 17mm, F5.6, 1/1000, ISO400.

:cheers: Cheers folks.

Jamie Douglas
11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Cheers for the recongition Daniel. I feel pretty honoured to have my image recognised as IMOTW amongst all the talent in the wildlife forum.

Thanks

Jamie :5

Morkel Erasmus
11-13-2012, 05:39 AM
congrats Jamie! well deserved...