Flash = Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
Focal Length = 105mm
Sensing Method = One-chip color area sensor
Exposure Mode = Auto exposure
White Balance = Auto white balance
Focal Length In 35mm Film = 157mm
Lens = Nikkor 105.0 mm f/2.8 VR
HH, strobela.

Not the best conditions, but these creatures are very elusive, on my location, and I was happy to finally get some photos that I can keep....Looking forward to another encounter with this beautiful species !

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=2041"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jonathan Ashton
11-09-2012, 04:30 AM
It is good to see such an animal in natural surroundings, whilst a set up may optimise presentation it does not usually improve authenticity/credibility if you see what I mean.
The flash appears subtle (if it did fire!) I like the shadows on the leaves, there are some specular highlights on the salamander but then there would be wouldn't there as it does seem there is some bright natural light coming in.
I like the shot, I do not think you could have gone very much lower though a little would have perhaps been good, too much and you would not get a good perspective.

Steve Maxson
11-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Hi Adrian. What a colorful salamander! I like the lighting and the diagonal of your subject. As presented, the head is closer to the edge of the frame than the tail - I would suggest cropping about 1.5 cm from the left (but don't clip the edge of the leaf in the ULC). I think this tweak would take this fine image up another notch! :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
11-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Very nice 'environmental shot' of this species. I'd crop a bit closer and Steve has provided some very good guidelines for that.