PDA

View Full Version : EUROPEAN NUTHATCH

christopher galeski
11-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Taken the other day,this nuthatch with seed in beak,just about to take off,cannon500mm L IS F4,TRIPOD,7D,small crop,sharpened for web,iso800,f4,500s,thanks for looking,comments good or bad.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1718"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
11-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Chris:

Classic nuthatach style pose, sharp, well exposed, nice catchlight, really like the perch.

On my monitor, some subtle noise in the BG. I might try a version with just a sliver more canvas at the top.

Cheers

Randy

Manos Papadomanolakis
11-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Nice looking bird with nice composition and a beautiful bg!!!

Bill Dix
11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Nice diagonal nuthatch pose, and the green perch adds to the image. Head seems a bit soft on my screen.

Bill Jobes
11-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Very nice pose of a nuthatch ! Its perch is a bit different and really interesting. I like the space at left that leaves room for the 'jump.'

Agree with Bill on the head being slightly OOF. The prime focus point seems to be on the near wing.

Overall, though, it's a very appealing photograph.

Daniel Cadieux
11-08-2012, 10:12 AM
I love the subdued light, great perch, beautiful pose and processing. Just a touch more sharpening on the head would be nice and some NR to the BG. Great stuff, I like this alot!!

Stu Bowie
11-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Hi Chris, love the pre take off pose looking into space, and you have brought out the finer detail in the plumage very well. Colours look good, and agree some NR would work on the BG. The seen in the bill adds interest.

Hope you got the take off shot. :w3

Jonathan Ashton
11-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Super shot Chris -I think one of your best, I think you have the best colour rendition I have seen for a nuthatch.. I like the shot as is though maybe a little NR would not go amiss especially on the background.
You may wish to consider cloning the sunflower seed, simply because it would imply a set up scenario, (just something to consider if you enter club competitions).

Robert Holguin
11-08-2012, 02:37 PM
Sweet shot!!
I really like the perch, very nice soft light, wonderful background, and great pose.
Agree on the sharpening of the head.
Well done.

John Cooper
11-08-2012, 07:46 PM
A beautiful capture Chris - love the diagonal composition here and the mossy perch. The Nuthatch has a great pose as it prepares to take-off and well portrayed against that soft BG. Well done!

Grace Scalzo
11-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Nice mossy perch...very appealing photograph.

dankearl
11-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Two nice Nuthatches on the same day!
Nice close up of one, not an easy task.

Jamie Douglas
11-09-2012, 12:54 AM
I knew this was a 7D image as soon as I set eyes on it. Shows how much I am used to using mine at high ISOs.

You can extract more detail from this IMO and Daniel has given a few tips to start with. Check out his recent article on processing 7D images. It's on this site somewhere.

This is a fine image and well worth putting in that extra bit of processing effort.

I just took it into PS and here is a quick repost... I hope you don't mind.

1) Ran a NR layer on the layer on the BG at 6, 60%.
2) Reduced the magenta colour cast a touch -8 if I recall, very subtle changes.
3) Ran a selective smart sharpen mask using Arash's smart sharpen tips.

WDYT?

Jamie

christopher galeski
11-09-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks everybody for your comments,before I posted this on here,the BG looked ok for noise,same with sharpness,but I understand what you are saying,Jamie I dont mind,and I can see a difference in your post,thanks again.

Satish Ranadive
11-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Absolutely superb image of Nuthatch.
Love the pose,colors,details,beautiful green perch and nice seed in beak. Superb background too.

Regards,
Satish.

Jim Crosswell
11-09-2012, 01:27 PM
Excellent image Chris. I like the mossy perch, pose, details, BG and composition. I like Jamie's repost.

Melvin Grey
11-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Great classic Nuthatch image. As regards technical points, Jamie's re-post says it all - but you have to have a great image to begin with!!