PDA

View Full Version : Cormorant close up

Ivan Ellison
11-07-2012, 03:52 PM
I know a lot of people do not like too close a shot and I myself am going away from them to show more of the surroundings, however I thought this was nice with the water droplets coming off the bird.
Cropped from landscape to portrait, canvas added to top and lhs. Exposure toned down and warmed up a little . Enhanced the clarity ,sharpened and a little NR to the pic in ACR. Slight adjustment to shadows/highlights, sharpned bird and blur the BG. Some small bright items cloned out. Re-sharpned small image for web in PSE10
Dunham Massey 27/10/12,
Canon 1DmkIV
Canon 500 f4 is +1.4 conv=700mm
1/1000 sec
f7.1
ISO 640

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1716"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jim Crosswell
11-07-2012, 06:30 PM
I like the water drops, sharpness and colours. I wish for more DOF. Nice image Ivan.

Shawn Zierman
11-07-2012, 07:20 PM
I like how clear the nictating membrane is, you can still see the eye nicely.
The water droplets and details on the cormorant are lovely.
I like the crop and tightness of this presentation. A better head angle would have
helped quite a bit in regards to getting more of the bill within the zone of focus.
Or...taking the 1.4 off, if you had time, would have provided a lot more dof...

John Cooper
11-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Your crop has certainly emphasized those lovely water-drops Ivan and the warm and cool tones in the water are very attractive. As mentioned, the bill softens towards the tip.

Robert Holguin
11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Terrific shot.
I really like the light, great comp, love the water drops, and nice details.
Getting the beak completely in focus would have been nice, but still a great shot.
Well done.

wendell westfall
11-08-2012, 11:44 AM
I like to photograph cormorants . . . Great image . . . Your extensive adjustments paid off . . . A slightly out-of-focus beak is the only downside for me . . .

Satish Ranadive
11-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Ivan:
Excellent close up.Very nice composition.Beautiful lights.
Love the colors,details,water droplets and nice BG.

Regards,
Satish.