Anette Mossbacher
11-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Found them in Etosha not to far from sunset :bg3:

MK IV
f/6.3 1/3200 - 0.33 yes they are slowly, but not always :S3:
ISO 640
lens 300mm f/2.8 & 2.0x

Camera Raw: lens correction, bit vibrance
PS5: Levels, curves, slight reverse curve to brighten up a bit the shadows in the elephants ( layer mask and me painting ), for me those shadow have been way to dark.
Contrast, web sharpening with NIK. This time only used contrast, bit structure, focal+3, rest of all sliders have been on 0.
Looking now for feedback at everything, but mostly for clarity, as said already in other posts from me. I am looking for clarity :bg3:

Thanks a lot

Ciao
Anette

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1799"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Anette, love it, nice interaction & behaviour.

The entwined trunks really make it for me and also like the slightly off set angle too. I hope Peter D comments, as seems to be the Master at these images from Etosha. I think you could add some selective mid tone contrast. Good to get them just below the skyline. Personally I would crop some off the RHS, take a vertical of the back of the a in your name. was this with the MKIII x2? Not sure how you use Nik sharpener, but would add some more to the Elephants. With this white coating, they look like these the human statutes you see :S3: Have you considered doing this as a toned B/W or Duotone, might be worth exploring.

Nice one.

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
11-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Hi Steve, thank you very much for your nice comments. With the crop I think they would sit to much in the middle, but give it a try. Yes I have thought of a B/W just had not the time yet for a try. I still love to feel the warm air and wind, as here it is cold already, bugger.
The NIK sharpener, well I am already waiting that a hand from NIK reaches out of my screen and hit me. I try all sorts of things now, but what I have found now brings me a bit closer where I want to be with clarity.

Ciao
Anette

bummer with iPad the emoticons do not work:((

Morkel Erasmus
11-07-2012, 03:14 PM
Nice one here Anette. I too would like to see the elephants a bit 'crisper' :w3. Have you had a look at the sharpening actions I posted at the top of the Wildlife forum? Worth a try as I feel they work well when it's hard to select your subjects from the BG...that being said making a manual 'elephants only' layer here shouldn't be hard, then just use PS sharpening on that layer...

Anette Mossbacher
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi Morkel,

yep, went to the link you posted, lovely images. Remember I have a hamster called MAC. When I downloaded the actions it opened in my notes or so with all kinds of symbols and letters!!
I could not install it on my MAC :tinysmile_shy_t: or I might something wrong!! Don't know.

I will sharpen the ellies a bit more, thank you very much for your input :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

PS I go now again and try to download, maybe I did something wrong, but doubt it.

Anette Mossbacher
11-07-2012, 03:53 PM
NEVER MIND MORKEL, you can call me for today "blond" :2eyes2::2eyes2: geeeees

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Anette, I think you may need to drop the folder into Actions in PS. If you then click on your image, go to Actions and click on the right version it does it automatically, as an 'Action'. I'm sure Morkel can add more to installing/using it.

Steve

Anette Mossbacher
11-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Got the actions installed, played a bit around. need to do that this week. Well after that is done another window pops up...etc :))) Had a laugh and said, okay when I am awake I can do that :bg3:

Thanks a lot for your help in this Steve

Ciao
Anette

Marina Scarr
11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Love the interaction/behavior you captured here, Anette. It's quite a powerful image. Do agree with Steve on a slight crop from the right.

I am seeing a slight yellow cast on the elephants which is easily remedied. Steve and Morkel, are you seeing it? I just pulled it into PS and it looks every so slightly better with a slight color balance adjustment.

Thank you Morkel for the sharpening advice that I am about to go and review now!!!

Rachel Hollander
11-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Hi Anette - good interaction, well captured. Nice detail in the skin. I agree on a touch more sharpening. The sharpening actions that Morkel posted are great for posting to the web. I use them on most of my posted images because they also resize in one action. Then just adjust the opacity of the sharpening layer to taste, flatten, convert the color profile and save for web. I think Marina is correct on the slight yellow cast. The ground also looks a little darker than what I remember, was this in a burned area?

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi Marina, thank you very much. I will check with the yellow in the ellies, thanks for pointing it out. With the crop, maybe a bit :bg3:

Rachel, thank you very much.
The area was not burned, but have seen the area you are talking about. That was further away.
The dark stuff you remember must is the all over elephant dung on the ground :bg3:
I cleaned up ( the image ) after the boys have left the area :S3:
The sharpening actions that Morkel posted, will give them a try, thank you very much for the tip :S3:
Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
11-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Hi all,

many thanks for all suggestions, some I could do :w3

I took the yellow out of the Ele's, please do overlook the Ele dung hanging here and there on their bodies :w3
Gave the crop you all suggested a chance :bg3: but still not convinced enough :tinysmile_shy_t:
Did Yoga for the sharpening, but worked quite okay for me. Will hear how it works for you :Whoa!:

Have a great evening

Ciao
Anette

PS I tried a B/W but my Silver Efex crashed all the time my Photoshop...etc. Will give the computer a rest for a night :wave: