PDA

View Full Version : Sphynix from Giza

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-24-2008, 07:25 PM
This was taken in Giza , Egypt where the sphynix and the pyramids meet. It is an awesome sight to see but difficult to catch an image without any tourists in the the capture. Unbelievable the talent and expertees of these people and the incredible manpower to build such wonderful monuments to their heroes. Hope you enjoy.

Nikon D300
Nikon 14 to 24 mm
ISO 250
1/2300 F8
Hand held.

All comments are much appreciated. Thanks !

Steve Bein
04-25-2008, 03:00 AM
judy,
Some day,I want to travel there also.
Great light, few tourists and wonderful perspective.

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Hi Judy,
Nice to see you here.......and that you and Beep made it back safely. I think you handled the lighting very well. The only question I have for you (since I haven't been there) is; could you have moved to the right to get the pyramid seperation from the sphynx? Even if the pyramid top was visible with the other side coming down may not have been as distracting. If you have other view would love to see them. Still debating getting rid of a little sky.
Welcome back,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Saw this one this morning too but no time to comment then but Roman captured my suggestion too regarding the placement of the pyramid behind the sphinx.

Exposure handled well with nice open mid-tones - well done.

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-25-2008, 12:27 PM
Many thanks Roman and Robert for your comments. There was no way I could avoid the pyramid as I was on the edge of a steep drop off so as to be able to get this image . I was after a total side view of the sphynx with no visitors in the image. There were hundreds of people there and it was almost impossible to get any images with out people. The areas are well protected and your choice of angles are quite limited. Still an incredible sight and I will post more of the pyramids at a later date. Again my sincere thanks. Judy lynn.

Robert Amoruso
04-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Many thanks Roman and Robert for your comments. There was no way I could avoid the pyramid as I was on the edge of a steep drop off so as to be able to get this image . I was after a total side view of the sphynx with no visitors in the image. There were hundreds of people there and it was almost impossible to get any images with out people. The areas are well protected and your choice of angles are quite limited. Still an incredible sight and I will post more of the pyramids at a later date. Again my sincere thanks. Judy lynn.

Certainly understand Judy with the situation your in and you did good with the image. Thanks for visiting us over here in Landscapes.

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi Judy Lynn,
This brings up an interesting point...........sometimes we just have to deal with what we've got! I look forward to your next posts..........and thanks for visiting us here at the bottom!
Roman

John Cooper
04-25-2008, 10:05 PM
A great travel record Judy.
The pyramid's position along side the Sphynix first stuck me as being distracting, but then I saw your comment about this area being where the Sphynix and pyramids meet I thought your composition was entirely intentional as it does tell a story!!

I always make my comments so I am not influenced my others, but after posting I saw your explanation as to why you had chosen that angle :)

Vincent Grafhorst
04-26-2008, 04:19 AM
Judy Lynn, don't get me wrong but to me this looks like a tourist snapshot to be honest. I am sure this area with its impressive structures and sculptures has lots of potential for magnificent photography. Going there early, before sunrise or at dusk must hold lots of opportunities, as there will be less tourists and the light will be much more pleasing with potentially lots of color. Did you get a chance to be there at a different time of the day?

Judy Lynn Malloch
04-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Unfortunately Vincent your suggestions would be a dream come ture. First of all addmittance is very strictly controlled by security and the police and no one can enter at will. I was with our church group of twenty six people and the challenges to get an image with out people was one of my greatest ever. The possiblilty of getting a side view of the Sphynx was pretty small as there is a tremendous drop off and not much space to stand. The lighting was also an incredible challenge as everything is so bright and to get the exposure right when the sun had been up for a couple of hours was no easy task. Most images were straight on captures of the Sphynx as that was the most available view. I felt very fortunate to capture this one without any human interference.
Many thanks for your comments Vincent. Judylynn