PDA

View Full Version : 7d to mk4 or should I wait

Corey Hayes
11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Hey guys do you think it would be worth upgrading at this point to the mk4 or should I just wait and see what the next 7D is going to be like.
Other then better weather proofing and better sensor the mk4 AF does not seem to be an improvement since you loose cross-type at f5.6 and both camera are from the same generation.
so I am not really sure what to do.

thoughts?

David Stephens
11-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Do you mean 1D MkIV? If so, it doesn't lose AF at f/8.

I own the 7D and the 5D MkIII. The reason to buy the 1D MkIV, the 5D MkIII and the 1D X, versus the 7D, are the superior AF systems. Thsi assumes you'll be trying to shoot birds in flight. Since receiving my 5D3, the 7D has gone from my primary body to backup, almost entirely due to the faster, more consistent, more precise AF of the 5D3. The 1D4 and the 1DX are at least as good and reported by some to be better. The improvement for me raised my "keeper rate" by at least a factor of 2.

As for the 7D MkII, I can't imagine that Canon will put it out without adding the AF system now in the 5D3 and raising the price accordingly. I expect to be buying one.

BTW, the 1D X already has AF at f/8 and the 5D3 will by April of 2013. That's huge in my estimation. I don't think that the current 7D will gain f/8 AF.

The sensor of the 7D is not inferior in all respects. For focal length limited shooting at moderate ISOs (800 and below) it has excellent image quality and exceptional detail.

Marina Scarr
11-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't even hesitate to upgrade to the 1D4.

John Guastella
11-05-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm in the same situation. I was on the verge of buying a used 1D Mark IV to replace my 7D, but I've decided to wait. I know that 1D Mark IV owners love that camera, but it's getting kind of long-in-the-tooth, and I think Canon is going to have to match the MPs of the Nikon D800. If they do, that camera will be awesome for bird photography -- the ability to crop heavily is a tremendous advantage.

My advice is to keep your powder dry, and see what Canon comes up with in the next year.

John

arash_hazeghi
11-05-2012, 11:46 PM
The opportunities you miss are not going to come back. Who knows if there is going to be a 7d replacement at all or not, those rumors are baseless 99% of the time. I wouldn't count on rumors. IMO one should buy the best gear they can afford at any time to maximize their productivity.

It sounds like you don't have prior experience with Canon bodies or perhaps you haven't been looking at the right references since the MK4 AF is a head and shoulder above that of 7D. It is like a Ferrari vs. a Kia in that regard IMO. 7D has a consumer AF module vs. MK4 which is pro AF module.

Corey Hayes
11-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks arash

I put my 7d up for sale and I am looking for the mk4 the way I see it even if the next 7d comes out I can just buy it also and then have two.

Piotr Szydlo
11-06-2012, 01:32 PM
The opportunities you miss are not going to come back. Who knows if there is going to be a 7d replacement at all or not, those rumors are baseless 99% of the time. I wouldn't count on rumors. IMO one should buy the best gear they can afford at any time to maximize their productivity.

It sounds like you don't have prior experience with Canon bodies or perhaps you haven't been looking at the right references since the MK4 AF is a head and shoulder above that of 7D. It is like a Ferrari vs. a Kia in that regard IMO. 7D has a consumer AF module vs. MK4 which is pro AF module.

totally agree.
1D series AF is way better than 7D. I don't own 1D4 yet, but my 1D2 and 1D3 are outperforming 7D all the time in terms of AF!

John Guastella
11-07-2012, 08:18 PM
The opportunities you miss are not going to come back.

If I understand the OP correctly, he currently owns the 7D. The suggestion that with that camera he's going to "miss opportunities" is absurd. I've been shooting with the 7D since it was released, and I've missed nothing.

I put my 7d up for sale and I am looking for the mk4 the way I see it even if the next 7d comes out I can just buy it also and then have two.

If you've got that kind of money, then why ask for advice? Just buy one of everything, see which gear you like, and sell the rest (or donate them to Goodwill!).

John

arash_hazeghi
11-07-2012, 08:45 PM
If I understand the OP correctly, he currently owns the 7D. The suggestion that with that camera he's going to "miss opportunities" is absurd. I've been shooting with the 7D since it was released, and I've missed nothing.

John

There are many situations where a 1D4 has a higher chance of getting a shot where a 7D might miss because of many reasons. It depends on what the shooter wants to photograph, for some types of photography even an iphone is great and will not miss anything.

David Stephens
11-07-2012, 10:53 PM

If you've got that kind of money, then why ask for advice? Just buy one of everything, see which gear you like, and sell the rest (or donate them to Goodwill!).

John

There's nothing absurd about a factual statement. He WILL miss many more shots with the 7D vs. the 1D MkIV.