PDA

View Full Version : Original Tower

John Cooper
11-05-2012, 01:19 AM
This is my original tower that i mentioned in my last post. Its a modular type of 4 sections, three 5 foot sections and one 2.5 ft section. Combinations can be used depending on the height required. Unlike my latest tower (see last post) this tower has a built-in ladder at the back making entry into the hide much easier.

The tower here is set up on another Kestrel's nest hollow, two 5ft sections and the 2.5ft section were used. The nest-hollow was only 15 feet off the ground and very low for an Australian Kestrel, therefore I couldn't resist setting up the tower even though it was close to a country road (A quiet road fortunately).

See Kestrel image above..........

John Cooper
11-05-2012, 01:24 AM
The Australian kestrel taken from a hide/tower set-up shown below.

EOS 5, EF100-300 F5.6L, IOS 100, 1/125 @ F11 plus fill flash. Natural light coming at right angles from the RHS.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1968"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Satish Ranadive
11-05-2012, 01:31 AM
John:
Great set up.Excellent image of kestrel.I like the pose with rat/mouse,beautiful colors and nice details.
Nice composition too.Would tone down whites on perch.

Regards,
Satish.

Melvin Grey
11-05-2012, 05:14 AM
A very efficient hide, John. Good to see photographers working for their shots! Nice image of the male bringing food, you should get great shots when the young are old enough to come to the entrance. I agree with the advice from Satish about toning down the pale areas of bark. I am afraid such an exposed site in the UK would be prone to vandalism - best of luck.

Melvin Grey
11-05-2012, 05:50 AM
John, I wrote the above before seeing your earlier image and notes. Thanks for your comprehensive notes.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-05-2012, 06:41 PM
That's what I call dedication! nice to see the tower and good that it was a quiet road, you gotta love them!
Nice kestrel and prey. Are you still using your tower now in the digital era?

John Cooper
11-05-2012, 08:01 PM
That's what I call dedication! nice to see the tower and good that it was a quiet road, you gotta love them!
Nice kestrel and prey. Are you still using your tower now in the digital era?

Yes Juan, mainly this particular tower as I can erect it solo. The image of the Woodswallow, a couple of posts ago, was taken using this tower.

John Cooper
11-05-2012, 08:19 PM
John, I wrote the above before seeing your earlier image and notes. Thanks for your comprehensive notes.

Thanks Melvin for your comments. Yes I've heard of some of the problems you have photographing wildlife in the UK, and in the US to I guess. Fortunately I live in the central west of New South Wales (A bit more isolated than West Wales, UK) :S3: so interference with gear left out in view of the public is negligible.

I would love to get over to your neck of the woods sometime - we watch an English TV program here called "Escape to the Country". Often they show areas of the countryside around Wales that makes me want to go there to visit..!! Maybe one day.........

David Salem
11-06-2012, 01:16 AM
Very cool John. Thanks for showing us your setup. The Kestrel shot is beautiful by the way.

Melvin Grey
11-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks Melvin for your comments. Yes I've heard of some of the problems you have photographing wildlife in the UK, and in the US to I guess. Fortunately I live in the central west of New South Wales (A bit more isolated than West Wales, UK) :S3: so interference with gear left out in view of the public is negligible.

I would love to get over to your neck of the woods sometime - we watch an English TV program here called "Escape to the Country". Often they show areas of the countryside around Wales that makes me want to go there to visit..!! Maybe one day.........
You are very welcome. If you do make it, get in touch.