PDA

View Full Version : A Milestone

Rachel Hollander
11-04-2012, 04:43 PM
So I thought I would celebrate my 5000th post with one of my favorite images of one of my favorite subjects from my most recent trip to Africa, the mother leopard. Hard to believe that before this trip I was bemoaning the fact that I had no good images of leopards in trees. Well, Patrick and Albert, the Ranger and Tracker at Kings Camp in the Timbavati Game Reserve, and the leopards delivered in spades. This was as the mom was coming down from where the kill was in the tree.

And a big thank you to the BPN Community, especially the regulars on the Wildlife Forum and our intrepid moderators, for all the time, patience and skill they have so readily shared. As I have said in the past, BPN has done more for my photography and pp than any other single source.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 85mm
1/1250
f7.1
ISO 800
EC +.67
HH from a safari vehicle, luminosity mask, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, slight crop for comp and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1719"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Andrew Merwin
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
And a big thank you to the BPN Community, especially the regulars on the Wildlife Forum and our intrepid moderators, for all the time, patience and skill they have so readily shared. As I have said in the past, BPN has done more for my photography and pp than any other single source.

Rachel

Well said Rachel. I whole heartedly agree with you.

I have enjoyed your leopard images. I can feel your excitement & enthusiasm for photographing them.

This is another good image—well exposed & sharp. If it were mine, I would remove the small branches between the vertical trunk & the leopard's head.

dankearl
11-04-2012, 07:44 PM
And a very nice 5000th post it is.
Always great work Rachel, I look forward to the next 5000!

Steve Canuel
11-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Congrats Rachel, both on the milestone and the leopard pic. Can always count on you to post some nice images and provide some food for thought on other's posted images. The featureless sky doesn't hurt this one because of the vegetation and branches framing the image. Nice pose by the leopard too. Not sure how I feel about the sticks by the face. I don't think I'd completely remove them but I might prune the horizontal portion by the chin.

Rachel Hollander
11-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Thanks Andrew, Dan and Steve. Your comments and suggestions are always appreciated and this is no exception. The branches do not bother me on this one because I feel there is enough separation between them and the subject.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Congrats Rachel for your 5000 post :bg3:
What a great image. I agree with the lower branches nearly touching the chin. I assume the face would pop out than more, but this is just my thought :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
11-07-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Rachel, congratulations on you milestone posting , but more importantly, thank you for you contributions in images and your constructive advice/comments to those who post, your contributions are greatly valued. :5

I like the pose, climbing down, the tongue out and gaze, just wish for a bit more of a head turn to camera for me. nothing you can do with the BKG, but I think you could just warm things up a fraction, plus there is a bit more detail you can get from the image i.e. the tree bark, albeit subtle I think it does help via some tonal contrast. Just a little pruning of the branch I feel does help, likewise the one to the rear of the leopard, but respect your wishes.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
11-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi Rachel, congratulations on you milestone posting , but more importantly, thank you for you contributions in images and your constructive advice/comments to those who post, your contributions are greatly valued. :5

I can only agree with Steve here, Rachel. Your own growth as a photographer (both behind the camera and the workstation) is testimony to what kind of place BPN is...I am looking forward to see you develop even further. :cheers:

Lovely shot. Steve's got a point on adding some tonal contrast to the leopard. Exposure seems just right for me.

Marina Scarr
11-08-2012, 09:32 AM
First of all, huge congratulations on your 5,000 posts!!! It's been a pleasure to spend time in the Wildlife forum, and I have really enjoyed your posts and critiques.

I love this capture...his stance...and esp how the leopard is licking his chops!!! When I looked at your photo, I couldn't think of a thing I would have changed. Then I read what Steve & Morkel had to say, and once again, they are opening my eyes to little details I would otherwise have overlooked like more detail in the bark for instance. That's why I love this forum!!!!

Rachel Hollander
11-08-2012, 09:42 AM
Thanks Steve, Morkel and Marina - I very much appreciate the suggestions and comments. Will take a look at implementing them soon.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Gregor Bergquist
11-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Congrats Marina!

5000 posts is really impressive. What a dedication you have. And this is a really lovely leopard shot.

Rachel Hollander
11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks Gregor but this one is mine not Marina's :S3:

Rachel

Gregor Bergquist
11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Sorry.. Is there a smily for embarrassment?