PDA

View Full Version : Give me 5 Steve!

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2012, 01:03 PM
Steve, this one is just for you :t3

What have I done ? I gave that elephant a smile :bg3:. Somewhere in Avian they told me to make all kind of noise and faces to get the birds attention, well here it did a smile :t3
What I have done with the image; done brightened a bit the eyes. A little crop at the bottom, due to my website size. Camera RAW, lens correction. That's it.

MK III
lens EF 70-200mm L IS II focal length 200mm
ISO 640
f9.0 1/800

PS When I took several images of this chap, I knew the title already :wave:

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1670"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2012, 03:31 PM
I love the quirky pose you got here, Anette! Etosha?
I think it might be possible to extract a bit more detail without losing the 'wet look' of the elephant.
I would also crop the grasses from the bottom...make it a pano...:bg3:

Anette Mossbacher
11-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi Morkel,

as Pano I did not even thought of that, thanks a lot for that suggestion :bg3:.
Yes was in Etosha. That is a easy going Park. Easier to observe and to find animals compared to KNP.
Will give it a try tomorrow with Pano and a few adjustments :S3:

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi Anette, will comment tomorrow when I get back. :5

Rachel Hollander
11-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi Anette - welcome back and a fun pose to start off with. Good suggestion by Morkel to try to extract more detail and also to go with a pano. I would also burn the grasses behind the ele some. Looking forward to seeing more from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Thanks a lot for your input.

I have done now crop, as you can see.
In PP reverse curve with about 60-70%, USM from Robert, minimal Tonal contrast NIK, a bit more warmth for the background and the bush left hand side of the elephant. This bush I as well burned a bit. That's about it.
Feel free to rip this one apart from the bottom to top, well that is not far! Also from the right to the left, that is far ! :bg3:
Thanks a lot rachel for your warm welcome :wave:

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Hi Anette, looks like you were not the only one to have fun during your trip, and thanks for the image.

My first thought was certainly along the lines suggested about the crop, think we are all becoming alike in our thinking :bg3: and the second was how dark the subject was.

With the ears swept back I do find him/her a little sad looking, even with the front foot up & waving. Although it might be 'pixel bashing' I would look a trying to open the subject/blown water a tad more for detail, but obviously avoiding the highlights in the foot pad. If the grass isn't clipped on the LH edge then I might be tempted to move the crop so you have all the grass in. Were you using a polariser on the lens?

Although I feel it doesn't then look right, flipping the image L to R gives more emphasis on hi 5, I think?

Somewhere in Avian they told me to make all kind of noise and faces to get the birds attention

If you did that with me Anette, then you would be walking home :w3 IMHO that is not good practice.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
11-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Repost looks good to me, Anette!
:5

Anette Mossbacher
11-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you very much Morkel :5

Steve, never crossed my mind that this ellie looks sad :Whoa!: I had a laugh when this chap used this bath tub for pleasure. This ellie came very fast to this waterhole, if an ellie could jump, that one would have done so :bg3:
It went straight in head first for "skuba diving"
But with you mentioning sad, you are right, when I had a second look. I flipped the image, forward backward. As I am a right handed person, feels flipped better. No idea how a left handed person would feel.
I made the check with my kids how they react with the sad thing. I did not say anything just showed the the pic. Both have been laughing. Guess that would be good for kids book :bg3:

I will put it aside to figure out what to do. Thank you very much :bg3:

"If you did that with me Anette, then you would be walking home http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/images/smilies/wink3.gif IMHO that is not good practice."

Well, certainly I would not do it when I would do Grouse scouting with you. That is different, but with some birds in Etosha or on the road it worked that they at least turned their head a bit :S3:

I am sure the ellie was as well happy to see me smile :bg3:

Thank you very much

Ciao
Anette