PDA

View Full Version : Piling on

Roy Priest
11-02-2012, 10:26 PM
These are Marsh Terrapins taken in Etosha, Namibia just before we had to leave the park.
D4, ISO 800, 500mm, 1/1250 @ F5.6, -1/3 EV.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1771"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
11-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Hi Roy, very much, three's a crowd on this one. :S3:

My first thought was, have you shot this vertically too, so you include all of the reflection? If you haven't, then I would be tempted to crop more off the foot of the image and loose some of the partial reflection, perhaps say 17mm (half an inch?), in doing so I might also come in a little more all round with the crop. Even a pano works, as another option too. Depending on your ethics, I would also remove the two OOF small rocks to the very right in the water, as it echoes the LHS and gives the image a cleaner look & feel. Note sure what the little white mark is to the rear of the RH leg of the middle Terrapin? A simple yet effective image and the overall blue really compliments the subject and isolates them well.

BTW was this still with Nate C?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-03-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi Roy - nicely seen and captured. Good suggestions by Steve for alternate comps. I like that there is no horizon or shore in the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
11-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Hi Roy,

am glad that I am not the one at the bottom :bg3:
I like it very much. For me, well that is just me, I would try to get the yellow a bit softer, but this is just me.

Ciao
Anette

Morkel Erasmus
11-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Well seen, Roy...I like it a lot...though I am with Steve in wondering if you've got a straight-on vertical one with all of the reflection.
How big of a crop is this?
Anette also has a point on some of the yellows...

Shreyas Mantri
11-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Quite a pose for these guys :S3: Where in Etosha was this?
Apart from the great suggestions from everyone, I personally would like some selective sharpening added on to the Terrapins.
TFS

Tim King
11-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Interesting photo. I like it. I've heard of turtle soup but not turtle sandwich. Fine job.