PDA

View Full Version : White-browed Woodswallow

John Cooper
11-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Every year at this time (Oct/Nov) our open woodlands where I live see huge flocks of White-browed woodswallows accompanied by 3 other species of woodswallows. The White-browed would be the most attractive and nest almost anywhere even on top of a rain-gauge. Their preference though, if available, is behind peeling tree-bark as seen here.

EOS 5D, EF 70-200 F2.8L plus x1.4 converter @ 280mm. Manual exposure - ISO 640, 1/200 sec F11, fill flash minus 1.75, Tripod, Hide on tower set-up.

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1957" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

John Cooper
11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
The same woodswallow post but with 4 pixels of 'Surface Blur' applied to BG as per Tim Grey's DDQ (Todays issue).

dankearl
11-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Terrific photo.
I think it is a bit tight, a bit more on the left would look nice.
Great behavior shot, nice soft light and very nice ambience.
Nice that all is sharp, you were really close, a very nice hide/set up.

Shawn Zierman
11-02-2012, 11:37 PM
That is one gorgeous swallow! Love the scene, and really, with the noise reduction or surface blur as you say,
there really is not anything that I would recommend changing.
Hide on a tower? Sounds dedicated!

Vivaldo Damilano
11-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Fantastic interaction and a very good looking swallow. I like BG on your second image. Good work.

Karl Egressy
11-03-2012, 05:39 AM
Great interaction, very nice picture. Surface blur is an effective tool against noise or even banding.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Cool looking bird and so nice that you could catch it with its chick! I also believe you are dedicated since you shoot this one from a tower hide! that surface blur makes this image looks even better. Cheers.

Randy Stout
11-03-2012, 04:31 PM
John:

Very well captured image, love the interaction, level shooting angle, depiction of nesting preferences.

For my tastes, it looks a bit too flashed, so toned down that effect with a luminosity layer set to 57% multiply blend mode, and a little further touch up on some particular areas of the trunk.

Personal taste of course, but for me, the best flash work is so subtle that you have to look twice to tell if it was even used.

Cheers

Randy

PS: You have to show us a picture of your tower hide!

John Cooper
11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
John:

Very well captured image, love the interaction, level shooting angle, depiction of nesting preferences.

For my tastes, it looks a bit too flashed, so toned down that effect with a luminosity layer set to 57% multiply blend mode, and a little further touch up on some particular areas of the trunk.

Personal taste of course, but for me, the best flash work is so subtle that you have to look twice to tell if it was even

Cheers

Randy

PS: You have to show us a picture of your tower hide!

Many thanks for your input Randy - and yes your retouch does look better here. Not sure that the flash at -1.75 compensation was the culprit here or just over-exposed a tad. i will post my tower(s) for you.

Randy Stout
11-03-2012, 07:22 PM
John:

It was the balance of luminosity of the BG versus the subject, and amount of highlights in the bird and trunk, that made me think it was the flash. Looking forward to the tower pictures.

Randy

Jim Crosswell
11-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Excellent image John. I like the interaction, nesting location, sharpness, flash work and BG. Repost looks great.

Satish Ranadive
11-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Excellent image.Great interaction captured.I like the beautiful bird with nice colors,details and pose of the chick with open beak.
Repost looks better.

Regards,
Satish.