PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks, canoes, pack rafts: does anyone use these for close approach?

Nancy Phillips
11-01-2012, 04:35 PM
I am considering learning to kayak, canoe, or raft in order to get into good shooting position in lakes, swamps, slow rivers (rivers require landing to shoot). If anyone here does this, how did you learn to paddle, what type of boat works well for you for photography, what sort of waterproof gear storage do you use en route? Does anyone else cringe at the thought of taking your camera into a boat and using it? So far, all I know is that a wide beam (boat's, not mine) and flat or nearly flat bottom are most stable in still water.

Having gotten stuck in quick-mud recently, I am feeling less than confident that wading is an option.

allanrube
11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
The local EMS stores have kayak seminars where they bring kayaks to local ponds. I learned everything I know at one of those. Paddling is easy to learn, drybags keep gear dry. I have only used a kayak on small ponds. If you want big lakes or rivers I can't help but I thought I would get advise started.

Randy Stout
11-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Nancy:

I take an occasional loon and waterfowl picture. For loons, I rely on a 12 ft.,broad beam jon boat with a small gas motor and a remote controlled trolling motor. It is very stable, I can sit in the bottom of the boat to get a low view point, I don't worry about the gear going into the drink. But, it requires a trailer and a vehicle capable of pulling it. I have shot casually from a kayak, but don't like the trade offs in mobility and stability. I do continue to look at additional options for areas where I can't get my boat in.

There are a number of folks on this site that do great work shooting from a kayak, so it certainly can be done. Shooting at 600-900mm from a kayak is a challenge for me!

Cheers

Randy

Jeff Dyck
11-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Nancy - I have been using a kayak with much success all season. There is some information in the thread here
(http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/99923-Calling-Red-necked-Grebe?p=812561&viewfull=1#post812561)
edit - there is a YouTube video on using the boat for photography here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=amqajbjKa9c#!). The photographer in it sets up his equipment basically the same way I do.

Steve Wasson
11-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi Nancy,
I shoot from one of two kayaks Wilderness Systems Tsunami 14' and a Current Designs Andromeda 18'. I shoot with a 7D & Sigma 150-500mm.
Advantages: Great access to just about anywhere there is 6" of water; fairly light (28-40lbs) and fairly easy to transport; easy to launch just about anywhere; you're low to the water for great shooting angles; Easy to learn
Drawbacks: Stability takes practice and depends on getting the kayak in position. If your primary purpose is photography, get a boat with good primary/initial stability; self-propulsion: trying to manipulate a paddle one-handed while holding photo gear is a challenge! Have to be a bit more careful about waterproofing. There are a variety of "soft" options, i.e., dry bags stored under deck or a few that attach on top. I currently use a dry box (Pelican Storm) that allows my to get camera (w lens & hood attached) out pretty quick.
Steve

Nancy Phillips
11-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you for ideas and links. This is going to be an ongoing project for me, because I have only minimal small non-powered boat experience (only some canoeing with a partner on class 1 rivers, and the odd rowboat). First step, take classes. Second step, rent kayak and practice (a lot). Third step, photography. Steve, I figure a flat bottomed wide beam kayak or similar canoe are the best beginner options due to good initial stability. Self-propulsion? Do you fit a minute outboard motor on your kayak? I was hoping that the little anchor used on fishing kayaks would be sufficient in a marsh. Where do you mount a Pelican dry box on the kayak? I could grasp the idea of nested dry bags placed in stern hatch with lid.

Nancy Phillips
11-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Jeff, re your link and red grebe photo - WOW!
And yes, you are brave (and skilled boatman) to take a 1DMkIV and 800mm on the water.

Steve Wasson
11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Nancy, Self propulsion is me! That's a disadvantage for photography! There is no way to hook a trolling motor to a traditional sea kayak that I can think of. Besides, a motor would greatly reduce the ability to get into the shallows. Its a game of trade-offs.
Your decision should be influenced by how you want to kayak. I enjoy kayaking for itself; we often take 4-8 hr, 5-20 mile paddles in the Mississippi River backwaters or local rivers, etc. So my kayaks are built for a good kayaking experience, and I make do for photography. If I were going to go to only a few smaller marshes or ponds, I get a boat like shown in the video to which Jeff linked.

I started by using dry-bags in the cockpit with me, but found it took too long to get my gear out for a shot. Storing in a hatch would be even worse for me. Then I switched to a Kodiak Deck Bag (http://www.outdoorplay.com/Kodiak-Kayak-Deck-Bag?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&cvsfa=3650&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=34383635&gclid=CPi7h5_1sLMCFYw-MgodVFsAyA). This worked, but couldn't fit my camera with the 150-500 lens + hood. So I left the hood off, and the lens cap on while in bag and took it off to shoot. Too much commotion! Now I use the Pelican Storm iM2306 (http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_storm.php?Case=iM2306).
My Pelican has structure near the latches & hinges such that I could drill small holes, through which I threaded shock cord. I attached clips to the end. The box sits on the deck right in front of me and is clipped to my deck rigging. This allows me to open the box quickly get my gear out and start shooting.

BTW, kayaking really is fun and easy to learn!

And nice Grebe, Jeff!

BobbyPerkins
11-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Great Links Jeff. I am planning to get the Native Watercraft 14.5 tandem (also goes solo) mainly for the shallow waters such as the wetlands. Not just to shoot from but also to get me out where the birds are where I like to hide (or crawl) with a pair of waders. Also that hybrid canoe/yak style is nice if you plan to bring camp gear for those weekend photo excursions on rivers.
Like Randy I enjoy shooting from an old 10' flat bottom jon with a trolling motor, as it's very stable and I can lay across the front (plywood) deck and be more level with the water. Certianly the most stable for a shooting platform, but I think the kayak would be super for transportation in shallow wetlands.

Nancy Phillips
11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Lots of good info here. My target waters will be Mississippi River, Missouri River, maybe Illinois River backwaters (swamps, horseshoe lakes, etc), getting onto river islands, some rivers in downstate MO. I am located in St. Louis MO. The major problem I see with a boat like the Native Ultimate 12" is that it weighs over 50#, and I don't see how I could wrangle the thing on a roof rack (Subaru Impreza Outback), nor do I see my way to storing the thing in my apartment. The inflatable kayaks could be managed (though a major pain to dry out), as they could be slung into the trunk. One thing about inflatables is that there is no way to use a tripod or attach a platform for a tripod head. Photography would have to be hand-held and at very fast shutter speeds, or I would have to invest in a stabilized lens (my current birding lens is my beloved Canon 400mm f/5.6L).

Nathan Gardner
11-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I bought a kayak a few weeks ago and have been very happy with the results. I bought a fishing kayak from bass pro and it has served me well. It seemed to me that the attributes of a fishing kayak would translate well to photography; stability, roominess, comfort, etc. I use a 400mm f/5.6 for its lightweight and compactness and paired with a kayak it's a great combo. As for camera gear in a boat; I try to keep it to a minimum. I usually only bring the 400, but occasionally throw a 17-40mm in a dry box. Also, get insurance. To answer the question directly above, I don't feel I need IS. I've seen people use tripods in kayaks, but I tried once and never got the camera mounted before I was ready to throw the tripod in the lake. A monopod works, but handholding is the best method for me and I can always brace my elbows against the kayak for stability. I looked at the Native, but it was too pricey for me. The Ascend FS10 is what I bought from Bass Pro and I love it. It isn't exactly a lightweight though.

Don Hamilton Jr.
11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Good Morning: Yaks, are perfect platforms; if long distances in water travel aren't required.. they are the bomb for blue cypress lake for shooting ospreys and owls... saves you the boat rental, and you can get way back into the shallows as well.... also fantastic for getting closer to rookeries, without disturbing the wildlife... takes a bit of time to establish your own personal style... dry bags and pfd's are a must. You can call me if you need more help.. 561-212-7358 Don

Nancy Phillips
11-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you all for your comments. Now, I need to get registered for a few beginners' classes.