PDA

View Full Version : Burning Bush Blur

Dennis Bishop
10-31-2012, 08:22 PM
This is from an in-camera blur that's been waiting four years to be processed. (No, I'm not catching up. Much to the contrary, actually.) Since starting to work on this a couple days ago, I've been wondering whether it really needed any post-processing, at all. Somewhere in the distant past, I had an ancestor in the hills of West Virginia. Family lore has it that he didn't have a first name for several years. Finally, because he kept tinkering around with things, he was named Tinker. If it is true, I must've gotten an overdose of his genes because I just couldn't post this image without doing something to it.

Nikon D2X, ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/10 sec, 105mm macro lens

post-processing

Adobe Camera Raw -- Temperature, Tint, Clarity, Saturation, and Luminance
rotated 180 degrees for composition
Flypaper Textures -- two different textures, one at Color blend mode, the other at Soft Light
Joel Olives Texture -- Screen blend mode
duplicate of background layer at low opacity
Vibrance adjustment layer
Nik Color Efex -- Darken/Lighten Center, Vignette (purple)
Fractalius -- Embo at Normal blend mode, Glow100 at Screen blend mode, both at very low opacity and gradient masked with highest visibility at top
Fractalius -- two B&W presets based on the old Sketch, both blurred and Multiply blend mode
Alien Skin Snap Art -- Stylize Line Art (turquoise), two layers at Multiply blend mode, one blurred
background and texture layers stamped and flipped horizontally, low opacity
Photo Filter adjustment layer -- green, gradient masked with highest visibility at top
olive green border, Luminosity blend mode

Dave Woeller
11-01-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi Dennis, If tinker you must, then tinker away. It's wonderful. I especially like the presence of two diagonals. One with the red petals and the other of the darker shading. The only part I might tinker with just a bit more is the lighter green highlight near the upper left edge. It seems to keep drawing my eye over there a bit.

Dennis Bishop
11-01-2012, 10:49 AM
. . . The only part I might tinker with just a bit more is the lighter green highlight near the upper left edge. It seems to keep drawing my eye over there a bit.

Thanks for your comments, Dave. I think you're right about that light green. It seemed like a good idea when I lightened it along with the rest of the top, but it does act like an eye magnet. The Fractalius Glow100 in Screen blend mode is the offending layer. I've added a gradient mask from the left part way to the right to tone that down.

Paul Lagasi
11-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Tinker, tailor, candlestick maker...ok getting off track...I love the image, a very pleasing blur, my kind of framing. Well Done

Anita Bower
11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Nice! The title is good, and influences how I view this abstract. I often don't quite know how to approach an abstract. The colors are lovely, the diagonals pleasing. I prefer the OP, but think the upper left area could be darkened just a bit to more closely match the lower right.

Cheryl Slechta
11-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Dennis, beautiful work - I love both of them! The colors and lines are so pleasing together. I hope you've got some more blurs for us:S3:

Maureen Allen
11-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Lovely blur, Dennis. I'm not usually big on blurs, but this one is very attractive. I prefer the second post.

Judy Howle
11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
This is one of the nicest blurs I've seen Dennis! The colors are very pleasing and your processing and textures worked well.

denise ippolito
11-11-2012, 10:48 PM
Super! I love the colors, flow and the filtering adds the perfect touch. I'd hang it on my wall for sure!