PDA

View Full Version : Eerie Visitor

Norm Dulak
10-31-2012, 05:47 PM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor f/2.8 105mm vr micro lens, tripod mounted.
ISO 800; f/5.6, 1/250 sec; MM -0.33
Illumination was by broad-spectrum lights above a hydroponic basil garden.
PP: Topaz DeNoise 4; PS CS6 crop, levels, SH, sharpen

On this Halloween eve, I thought I'd post something spooky. So here's a jumping spider, with those frightening eyes!

Norm

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1909" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Marina Scarr
10-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Really a terrific spider image, Norm. You acquired so many details. It looks as though you got just enough DOF to get the eyes. Love the green perch and good use of light source.

I noticed that you applied NR to this image, but I am seeing issues with your BG which looks like either noise or artifact from the JPG conversion.

Norm Dulak
11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Marina, for your comments.

The background, however, is the top of the hydroponic setup, which is not perfect. Your BG issues probably are due to that.

Jerry van Dijk
11-03-2012, 05:53 AM
Very nice and coloful spider, Norm! I like how much detail you got in this little fellow. Although this might be the natural position, I would be inclined to apply a slight CW rotation to level the spider. I would consider cropping closer on the spider. With a little S/H correction I think you could get some more detail in the shadows on the spiders face. BG issues seem at least partly noise related, because I also see them on the OOF parts on the leaf. But my monitor is rather unforgiving, so this may not show as much on other monitors.

Norm Dulak
11-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Very nice and coloful spider, Norm! I like how much detail you got in this little fellow. Although this might be the natural position, I would be inclined to apply a slight CW rotation to level the spider. I would consider cropping closer on the spider. With a little S/H correction I think you could get some more detail in the shadows on the spiders face. BG issues seem at least partly noise related, because I also see them on the OOF parts on the leaf. But my monitor is rather unforgiving, so this may not show as much on other monitors.

Thanks, Jerry. Your detailed, thoughtful comments are greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Ashton
11-03-2012, 08:45 AM
I like the image very much, he is a spooky little chap and the size of those fangs!! I am guessing he was sitting still if so I would have gone for a smaller aperture especially at this magnification, doesn't need much more - just to get the peripheral eyes in focus.

Norm Dulak
11-04-2012, 09:21 AM
I like the image very much, he is a spooky little chap and the size of those fangs!! I am guessing he was sitting still if so I would have gone for a smaller aperture especially at this magnification, doesn't need much more - just to get the peripheral eyes in focus.

Good suggestion Jonathan. Thanks.

Steve Maxson
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Hi Norm. It looks like you nailed the focus on the central eyes and I like that we can see those impressive fangs! It's a matter of taste, but I think the image would be stronger if you had used f/11 or f/16 to get more DOF - given that the subject was indoors and you were using a tripod, a lower ss should have been possible. :S3: I would wish that the leaf tip on the left wasn't quite so close to the edge of the frame - you might consider adding just a little canvas on the left - or alternatively, you could crop from the left such that the other leaf tip was relatively close to the frame. On my monitor I'm seeing noticeable luminance and color noise in the background and on the OOF portions of the image - I would suggest another round of nr on those areas to smooth things out. :S3:

Norm Dulak
11-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Everyone.

I agree with all comments made; THANKS!

I've tried to fix the BKG with better NR. No question, a lens stopped down further would have enhanced the result. I went back to the RAW file to get the leaf tip further from the edge. And I have applied careful SH to try to enrich an otherwise bright leaf, and to try to bring out more facial detail.

Bob Miller
11-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Hi neighbor! I like your repost of this image. Really loving the sharpness you got in those eyes and fangs!