PDA

View Full Version : Chasing porkies!

Marc Mol
10-31-2012, 06:20 AM
I've not been very active on the forum of late with our renovations and eventual move to the tropics of far Nth Qld and now with the sad news of my dad's bone cancer,
trying to spend quality time with him in his last few months,I hope you guys understand.

After originally setting her sights on some puku, this female successfully brought down the year old warthog on the left.
Would have loved a front on pursuit image but let's not be too greedy.:bg3:

D3s 500VR 1/1000s f/5.6 ISO200. Small crop, Lupunga spur, Mfuwe region, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1655"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
10-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Hi Marc - I like the pov and the comp with warthogs both left and right of the lion. Allows us to appreciate how the lioness breaks off a prey from the others. To me though the color looked off (though I know I wasn't there :w3). I felt the yellows were too strong and the greens too bright so here's a repost. I hope you don't mind.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
10-31-2012, 07:21 AM
My first thought after loving the story of this image was that the yellows/greens were too strong. Like the RP. The hogs with all of their tails up is hysterical. I really like this POV quite a bit b/c it puts you into the action.

Morkel Erasmus
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
nice action here Marc, and exposure looks good in harsh light.
sorry to hear about your father...wishing you and him all the best...
Rachel's RP looks good to me!

Rachel Hollander
10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Marc - hadn't seen the note about your father earlier. Wishing you and your father the best.

Rachel

Marc Mol
11-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Appreciate the comments everyone.

To me though the color looked off (though I know I wasn't there :w3). I felt the yellows were too strong and the greens too bright so here's a repost. I hope you don't mind.

TFS,
Rachel

Correct Rachel, have used Nik tonal contrast, boosting the greens, perhaps a little too strong?

Steve Kaluski
11-01-2012, 03:01 AM
Hi Marc, Rachel's RP addresses the main issues and your explanation may also throw some light also to the previous posting of the Lioness & cub, which I thought also had a similar look & feel. Not sure if it's heat haze or some NR, but the BKG has an almost painted quality I feel. Good call on choice of format and I like the spread of the subjects, it illustrates exactly what is happening and the rear legs of the lioness in mid flight.

Marc on a sadder note, news like this proves how fragile life is and how we take things so easily for granted. Spending quality times is the right thing to do and we will all, still be here as and when you feel/want to return.

All the very best Marc.

Cheers
Steve