PDA

View Full Version : Misty Mountain Morning

Rachel Hollander
10-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Taken this past Friday just after dawn on the road in Cataloochee Valley in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 70mm
1/1600
f3.5 (I should have stopped down more)
ISO 1600
HH, shot vertical but slight crop to remove part of bush intruding on right, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, LCE, selective dodging and burning, Hougaard Malan action and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1719"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Roger Clark
11-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Rachel,

With about 9-days and no comments, perhaps people aren't wowed by your image. The bland sky doesn't help. If the sky had some nice clouds, red from the sunrise/sunset, it would help a lot. I tried cropping at the sky line and it helps, but then the big bland road dominates the foreground. Something is needed in the foreground, or perhaps at least where the road is going. As presented, it doesn't have the elements to draw me in. But it might by cropping out the sky and lightening the area where the road is going. Example attached.

Roger

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi Rachel, I agree with Roger that something else is needed. I would evict the little bits of evergreen showing along the tree trunk on the right side of the frame. If by chance you have any bright road sign images you could put one in the foreground to perhaps have that something else in the frame to create more interest.

Rachel Hollander
11-06-2012, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys for the honest comments. I think I have a shot with a car in it maybe that will add a bit of interest. Roger - your crop doesn't work for me because it loses the mountains but I do understand what you are saying. Btw I hope most members don't only comment on images that wow them, it's other images that can use more suggestions and tips.

Andrew - as a rule I don't add elements to an image that weren't there.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
11-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Rachel, sorry for taking so long to get to this one...:e3

This one isn't really doing much for me, Rachel, sorry...
Roger's crop makes it stronger IMHO as the bright sky is really drawing the eye in the OP away from the moody misty road and trees.
Contrast also looks a bit flat - might play a little in curves too?

Rachel Hollander
11-09-2012, 09:24 AM
No problem Morkel. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I just liked the silvery color of the tree trunk but not all shots can work.

Roman Kurywczak
11-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey Rachel,
Just got power back Saturday and have been away.....so sorry for the late reply. In this case.....if you wanted to keep the sky a GND filter or exposure for sky and FG was the way to go. Rogers suggestion was a good one.....if you had composed in that regard then exposed for that scene.....would have worked nicely. Many possibilities here so just some more food for thought for next time out.

Rachel Hollander
11-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks Roman, Glad to hear you got power back, my mom finally got hers back on Sunday on LI. I hope you did not have much damage.