PDA

View Full Version : ELK IN THE RUTT BATTLING THE ELEMENTS

Marina Scarr
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
This poor bull elk found himself in a torrential downpour. Every few steps he was uttering a rutting call, but the females were nowhere in sight. Began photographing from the window of the vehicle but after determining the angle wasn't working, braved the elements myself for this capture.

Canon 1D3, Canon 100-400L @ 200
F5.6, 1/160sec, ISO 1000, manual mode
Handheld down low in the pouring down rain

C & C always welcomed and much appreciated.

Marina Scarr
Florida Master Naturalist
www.marinascarrphotographer.com (http://www.marinascarrphotographer.com)

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1707"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi Marina, looks like a small taster of the storm that is coming your way on the east coast.

Were you above him judging by the angle, looks like you were shooting a little down? If you were on foot then I think perhaps to have knelt down might have provided a better angle and avoided the 'cotton grass' (?) in the main grass, as it just seems to catch my eye sadly. Having a lower SS has certainly captured the rain and conveyed the scene well.

BTW Well done on Natures best.

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Were you above him judging by the angle, looks like you were shooting a little down? If you were on foot then I think perhaps to have knelt down might have provided a better angle and avoided the 'cotton grass' (?) in the main grass, as it just seems to catch my eye sadly. Having a lower SS has certainly captured the rain and conveyed the scene well.

BTW Well done on Natures best.Steve

Thanks for the kudos on NB, Steve. This bull was was down in a small valley. I was out of the vehicle land kneeling down for this capture. No way to get any lower unfortunately. There is no way I would have gotten out of that vehicle in this rain had he been on higher ground. :)

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Marina - I like the walking pose and the brown tones here. Sharpness looks good. Nicely done to capture the rain drops as well.

TFS,
Rachel

Sid Garige
10-29-2012, 08:36 PM
I like it. For me rain added a lot to this image.

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2012, 11:49 PM
The streaky rain certainly adds to this, Marina. Nice image.
I think you could perhaps extract more detail/depth from the elk - ISO1000 is quite workable on the 1Dm3 in my experience. :bg3:
Thanks for clarifying the shooting angle.

peter delaney
10-30-2012, 05:30 AM
Hi Marina
Lovely image ....

well done on Natures Best !!

Marc Mol
10-31-2012, 06:39 AM
The driving rain and head position on the elk have been portrayed very well here, nicely captured Marina.
TFS