PDA

View Full Version : Plain Tiger: Drinking Honey.

Satish Ranadive
10-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Taken in the last week. Cropped,desaturated and sharpened. Few OOF branches and flowers just below the wings are removed.

ISO: 250, 1/640 @ F: 6.3. Evaluating metering. Exposure bias: +0.7.
White balance: Auto. HH. Canon: 550D, 400mm.

Thanks for viewing and appreciation. C & C are highly appreciated.
Kind Regards.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1774"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Jonathan Ashton
10-30-2012, 08:40 AM
Love the colours exposure and composition. I see you went for a low ISO and fast shutter speed - good idea but the aperture is a little too modest. The butterfly was one of those awkward ones who never settled in the correct plane, with the wings in that position you are on a hiding to nothing but you have a lovely image there, well done. Also I would recommend at least a monopod or even a piece of cane or dowelling that you can hold against the camera body and lens - anything to give a little more steadiness.

Steve Maxson
10-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Hi Satish. This image has lots of good things going for it - nice light, attractive, colorful flowers, a feeding butterfly, a clean background, nice comp, and good sharpness within your DOF. I would only wish that the wings were more parallel to the plane of focus - or that you had more DOF to make the far wing sharper. It looks like you could have used ISO 400 to give you f/8 which would have helped a little. Just something to keep in mind the next time in the field. :S3:

Satish Ranadive
10-30-2012, 10:41 AM
Jonathan and Steve:
Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions.I am still learning macro.Your gorgeous images inspired me to learn this.
This is my firs image,where I got nice background and feeding pose.So thought to share it.

Regards,
Satish.

Marina Scarr
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Head of the BF is nice and sharp and I like your flower and the BG is killer. Whites looked hot and it was confirmed by the histogram in PS. The underside of the wing looks especially bright and I feel this could easily be remedied with the recovery slider. Agree with Steve and Jonathan that I would have liked more DOF. Very pleasing capture regardless.

Jerry van Dijk
10-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Hi Satish, good work on the BG and I love the perch. Often, feeding butterflies creep around on a flower for a while. If you're patient (and lucky!), sometimes they wander just perfectly in the plane of focus. This may help in addition to stopping down.

Ken Childs
11-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Satish, the BG looks great and the perch is a beauty....too bad the butterfly didn't cooperate.

You've received some great suggestions for what could have been done in the field to improve this shot but I think there are a couple of simple tweaks that can take what you have up a notch or 2. This is more of a personal preference but if this were mine, I would crop some from the left, right and top. I would also selectively sharpen the left wing and the back antenna and would boost the contrast in both spots.