PDA

View Full Version : Sandy and our Long Island beaches

Grace Scalzo
10-29-2012, 08:59 AM
As Sandy approaches the Northesast, thought I'd mention (since so many images have been shared here from beautiful Nickerson beach) that the area is evacuated and in grave danger from this storm. I hope that the dunes survive.

Those of us from Long Island and the rest of the eastern quadrant of the country may be MIA for a while from BPN as we are surely to be without power for quite some time. Send good thoughts our way.

Cheryl Slechta
10-29-2012, 09:21 AM
Grace, I was dreading what the storm would do to the beaches up there. I hope you and everyone in the storm's path will be safe. You are all in my thoughts:S3:
Take care,
Cheryl

Daniel Cadieux
10-29-2012, 09:39 AM
Be safe, and yes we'll be sending good thoughts your way!

Marina Scarr
10-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Stay safe, Grace. Let's hope there isn't too much damage. It's amazing the kind of damage a storm can do to the beaches as evidenced by this past summer's TS Debby.

Jeannean Ryman
10-29-2012, 06:02 PM
Thoughts are with you Grace and all the others in the path of this very bad storm.

Hazel Grant
10-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Yes, to all those in harm's way, our hearts and prayers are with you. Looking forward to "seeing" you on BPN again, safe and sound.

Jon Swanson
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Be safe. I am sure the Northeastern US will rebound fantastically. We might lose some natural wonders unfortunately :(

Jerry van Dijk
10-31-2012, 03:35 AM
Stories about the considerable damage caused by Sandy are coming in here through the media. I hope everyone is safe and I wish you good luck with the recovery!

allanrube
10-31-2012, 11:04 AM
We did not get damage in southern NH except for occasional downed tree limbs and power outages. I go to Nickerson Beach each summer and my wife and I like to spend time in Long Beach. From the news this area seems hit very badly. Is anyone from that area - hope you are safe and sound - if you can even get this message.

Melissa Groo
11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Thinking very much of you Grace. Please let us know when you can how you, your family and friends, and the dunes are faring.

allanrube
11-06-2012, 04:54 PM
I certainly hope Grace is doing ok. I believe this thread starter was her last post. Another storm is on the way.

Melissa Groo
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
To all, I heard briefly from Grace today, she wrote "...things r really messed up. But we r fine, no power still and now a nor'easter blowing. Much damage on the island. I can only access Bpn on my phone as a guest so I can't post." (To those who don't know her, Grace lives on Long Island which took much of the brunt of Hurricane Sandy.) Our thoughts are with her and the other members of BPN who have been greatly affected by this storm.

Andrew Merwin
11-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Melissa, Thanks for the update. I have wondered how Grace & the other "Sandy-Affected" BPNers are doing.

dankearl
11-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Grace, if you read this, I hope you are doing well and get back to normal soon.
The place is not the same without you.

Grace Scalzo
11-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm back....thank you all so much for your kind words and concern....warmed my heart. We got power back last night and phone and cable today, so life is slowly returning to a new normal for us. Many are not so fortunate. Ted and I have had limited news over the last 11 days and we were absolutely astonished to watch the TV tonight and see some of the extreme damage to some of our communities here on LI, NJ, and Staten Island. Our Long Island beaches, especially the south shore ones are trashed with the dune structure gone in many places. My favorite east end beach literally washed into the bay, and there are new breaches all along our barrier island. But nature will find a new rhythm, it will just take time. Again, many thanks to my BPN friends. I missed you!

Andrew Merwin
11-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Welcome back Grace. You have been missed. I am very pleased to know that you are ok.

Grace Scalzo
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
Thank you Andrew. I appreciate your words more than you know.

Daniel Cadieux
11-09-2012, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the update Grace. It must be painful to se your favorite haunts in those conditions, but as you say, nature will adapt and renew...and the imporatant thing is that you guys made it safe and sound.