PDA

View Full Version : Waves of sand

Anette Mossbacher
10-29-2012, 08:19 AM
Sitting on a mechanical cloud over the Namibian desert.
Took this image out of a Cessna with Polarizer attached ( B&W ). I was not allowed to open the window :eek3:
Aircraft flew with abut 350km/h! Altitude about ~ 500m
It was a cloudy day as you you can see in the image. Late afternoon around 4:30pm.

ISO 800
f/6.3 1/2000 -0.33
Lens 26mm
:bg3: MK IV

Camera Raw, just basic, lens profile, a bit clarity and vibrance
PS, clean up dust spots, straighten, image contrast, Levels, a bit Pro contrast NIK, at the end NIK sharpener for output. Not much done.
Hope to learn more how I can do this one better. I always admire the clarity in images I see. How do I do that????

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi Anette - interesting to see from the air. We tried to arrange a flight from Swakopmund but unfortunately could not work out timing. One problem with your post is that there is no color profile assigned. When I brought it into PS and assigned a sRGB color profile the color had much more depth and the reds really came through. Hopefully others can help with the clarity you seek. Looking forward to seeing more images from your trip.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
I love the light on the sand and the patterns here, Anette...
I do think shooting through the Cessna's perspex has cause a loss of IQ (image quality) here, though it's still nice to look at!
I think you composed this well, with good depth.

stuart wanuck
10-29-2012, 05:38 PM
love the curves really nice

Anette Mossbacher
10-30-2012, 03:20 AM
Apologies Rachel, I have forgotten the famous tic, hook, dot when saving the image for BPN. Haven't used my desktop for 6 weeks, was happy that I remembered the password to get in :bg3:
For Swakopmund, I contacted the scenic flights, nearly all, weeks before I left Europe. Told them a close date when I would be in Swakopmund with the note that I will get in contact with them a few days before I arrive. As I was alone all the time it was easy for them to place me on a plane otherwise I could hire a plane for myself, which the cost would have been 5x more of course. Nop, would not have done that for sure. It inexpensive, but you fly 2 1/2 hours around, depends which route you want to take. Sossusvlei was a bit more easy. I stayed 2 nights in the park at the Camping ground, that gives you a early start of 1 hour early before the gate opens and the migration starts. Thank you very much for your info with my "forgotten" dot :Whoa!:

Morkel, thank a lot. With the window there is always loss. I knew that, but the company with open windows was booked out to the edge, of course!!

Pete, I must get in contact with you in Basel, I remember :bg3: Thank you very much for the tip with the USM, will give it a try. Hope you have no snow in Basel :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Anette Mossbacher
10-31-2012, 03:16 AM
Hi Peter,

I am back since last Wednesday. We still have snow here. We live up on a mountain where the fox says good night to the chicken :bg3:

Figured out with the USM that it doesn't do much on my RAW. I use the Tonal range ...etc from Robert, which works quite well. The clarity comes slowly with more tweaking here and there. I am busy moving sliders :bg3:
Might should be more daring in this :bg3:

Ciao
Anette

Hazel Grant
10-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Considering the window.....very good capture. like the sharp fading back to very soft in the distance and the color changes,

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Anette, I like Peter's version with the additional sharpening. A lovely scene. The waves of sand are very interesting to look at from above.

Roman Kurywczak
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi Annette,
given the conditions....well done. I too like Peter's repost the best as well......good direction for you to go for.