PDA

View Full Version : Orchid Sisters

Bob Miller
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM
I took these two beauties at Longwood Gardens in Pa.

D-300
1/60 sec at f11
ISO 400
90 mm tamron Macro
Comments welcome

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1876" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Jonathan Ashton
10-29-2012, 05:19 AM
Orchids look great, I suspect the tight crop is for good reason e.g. to exclude other distracting petals. I am not crazy about the dark background in this particular shot but the detail in the flowers is excellent.

Marina Scarr
10-29-2012, 04:12 PM
Lovely orchids with nice colors and details. I am seeing some unfinished processing on the edges of the pedals and the left upper side of the frame? Could you explain how you arrived at this black background please?

Steve Maxson
10-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Hi Bob. Lovely colors and good sharpness on the center of both flowers. I agree with Marina that the black background needs more work to clean it up. This is a rather unconventional crop that will likely elicit differing opinions. :S3: I would wish that the petal at the top of the frame wasn't clipped. Overall, this is a very nice image and some tweaking on the background will make it shine!

Sanjeevprakash
10-31-2012, 10:21 AM
I love Longwood Gardens.The orchid looks Great Bob.Prolly a couple cloning to the BG will enhance the image even further.

Ken Childs
10-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Bob, the flowers look great but the crop is giving me trouble. I think that since the top and left petals are partially cutoff, I'd consider cropping in tighter on the left, top and right. There's a bit of green showing at the edge of the UL petal that's a bit distracting.

Here's a tighter crop which shows what I had in mind. I also removed the bit of green mentioned above. I tried cropping a lot more from the top to balance the locations of the flower centers but I wasn't thrilled with the results but you might give that a shot and see what you think.

Bob Miller
11-02-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestions... I decided to add some canvas to the top and bottom .
Marina....The bg was in shadow and then i darkened it but did miss afew spots....I will clean it up...thanks!

Satish Ranadive
11-05-2012, 06:53 AM
Very sweet image of beautiful orchid.

Regards,
Satish.