PDA

View Full Version : Hyena cub.

Stu Bowie
10-28-2012, 09:37 AM
I have just returned from the Mashatu Reserve in the Tuli Block, North Eastern Botswana. It hadnt rained there since last november until we arrived :w3. The area is in a dire drought, and the browers were lying dead all over the area from lack of food. It is so bad that the carcasses lie for 3 days before the scavengers arrive, as there so many lying around. The carnivore's are healthy, as they can pick and choose who to chase down, as their prey are too weak to put up flight. This area is famous for its large herd of Elephants - they too have moved further north for water.

Here is a two week old Hyena cub that was very inquisitive, and braved himself out of his den. This was captured vertically in overcast conditions.

1D Mark IV
100-400 @ 300mm
1/400
F/6.3
ISO 1600

Exp Comp +0.33

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1707"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
10-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Hi Stuart - I like this a lot. Good choice on the vertical comp. I might try to open the shadows on the chin a tiny bit more.

TFS,
Rachel

Marina Scarr
10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
What a little cutie-pie. This cub looks very inquisitive. The vertical comp is not really working for me b/c there is so much dead space and b/c the den appears cut. I wonder with a horizontal how much of the den might be visible to tell a little more of the story.

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Hi Stuart, MKIV hey, new addition?

I like this because this little guy has the 'cute' factor. The inquisitive stance is a nice one, alert and curious, cool. I just wonder if a square crop could also work here Stu, working down from the LH corner to the RHS, think it give the subject more presence and power within frame. Thought you might have bumped into Grant as I know he was floating around there recently.

TFS
Steve

peter delaney
10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Hi Stuart

lovely subject with the cute factor, It's always good to try different crops ... If the Fg was more uniform or interesting I think you could have gotten away with the negative space ...
I have to agree with Steve a square crop works really well with this image ..I have purposely placed subject central and eyes on upper thirds ...

Steve Kaluski
10-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Great minds Peter, spot on IMHO. Over to you Stuart, WDYT?

Marina Scarr
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Love the RP b/c it really showcases that cutie-petutie.

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Too cute, and the overcast light has brought out loads of detail on this little chap.
I like the OP a lot even with the 'negative space'...I do like Peter's repost too though - up to you, Stu :5

Sid Garige
10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
With Peter on the crop Stu.

Stu Bowie
10-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Hey guys and girls, thanks a stack for the suggestions and repost on what can be done. The square crop does look better.

I do have more images of this little guy in the traditional horizontal, and with a better pose/stance.

Steve, I didnt see Grant. I think he operates in the delta area - opposite end to where I was. I did however have the privilege of meeting him a little while back.
With regards to the camera, sold my wife and kids. :w3 Cheers.

Marc Mol
10-31-2012, 06:44 AM
Very cute indeed Stu and like both crop versions, love the inquisitive stance here.
TFS

Jonathan Ashton
10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Excellent Stu, I like the original it shows his diminutive size.... but the crop looks pretty darned good too!!