PDA

View Full Version : Park Ave.

Roman Kurywczak
04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I went to Arches NP for the first time over 20 years ago.... and instantly fell in love. While I really think our national park system offers a variety of subject matter, most are a landscapers dream. Although Arches is small in comparison to many parks, IMO it is one of the most spectacular! Canon 1D Mark 3 with a 17-40mm lens at 17mm, Gitzo 1348 tripod and a Graf Studioball head shot at ISO 100 at f22 for 1/10 sec. Lee circular polariser and the 3 stop grad ND filter to bring right side tone more even with the left.
As always questions & comments welcomed and appreciated,
Roman
PS this is the day time version of my night shot; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5344

BillPelzmann
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Roman, the "tilting" wall on the left really bothers me.
I would have settled for less sky to get less tilt.

Given the 17mm and lack of foreground, why were you shooting at f/22 ?

Robert Amoruso
04-24-2008, 03:25 PM
Beautiful image Roman but the tilt is kind of jarring. I would love to see a stitched pano from here for better perspective control. Clouds help to make the image.

John Cooper
04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
You sure do have some spectacular NP's over there Roman. I can imagine getting engrossed in there for days!!

Yes, agree with Robert that stitching a sequence of this landscape would control perspective. Good excuse to make a trip back!!

David Kennedy
04-25-2008, 12:46 AM
... the tilt is kind of jarring. I would love to see a stitched pano from here for better perspective control.

That can help a lot, especially if you are using several vertical images. Alternatively, a full frame body and the 24mm tilt & shift would pull it off without a hitch.

Steve Bein
04-25-2008, 03:02 AM
I think this is a great potential image. A pano is not necessary, IMHO, but some work in transform that would straighten out the tilt and this is a winner.

Roman Kurywczak
04-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Hi All,
I waited for a few responses before I replied.....especially for the perspective. David,Robert, & Bill........the TS was on my list of things to get.......now it's CS3...for the stitching....Steve........I played around with perspective control...........got decent straightening. After all that was done I decided I liked the lean.......felt it pushed me back into the picture. I have done a pano shot here........just haven't gotten to it and if you look at the one in the pano forums.......my good friend who was with me, David DesRochers, already posted it http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6886. It will be interesting if otheres are indifferent or want to get rid of the lean! And finally.......John, not to worry, I'll be there in Feb. again.
Roman

Vincent Grafhorst
04-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Roman, I understand you saying that the tilt pushes you bakc into the picture, which is also partly my feeling. Yet on the other hand it also disturbs me and looks unnatural, especially looking at that ballancing rock in the TLC. I tried to correct, but that is not easy.