PDA

View Full Version : Golden Sunset Snowy Owl

Jamie Douglas
10-27-2012, 05:56 PM
The snowy owls are back!!!!

only kidding :bg3:

It is almost a year since the first snowy owl was spotted on our shores at Boundary Bay south of Vancouver.

This image was taken just before the sun set at a quiet unknown to most location which was not such a zoo with birders and photographers like Boundary Bay.

Website version looks better IM, http://jamiedouglasphotography.com/p646954356/h490bc3fa#h1d5d1f1a

Techs Canon 7D with 400mm F5.6 @ F5.6, 1/1250, ISO200 mounted on tripod.

C&C welcome

Jamie

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1712"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-27-2012, 08:09 PM
I'll trade you a snowy egret for a snowy owl?! I hope someday to get a shot at one of these. I like the head turn and the nice brown tones . I'd be tempted to take a little off the right side .

Richard Stern
10-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi,

I agree with Cheryl's comments. Also the bird's face is a bit lacking in detail. Love the staring slightly cross-eyed expression, and the detail on the bird's wings and back, and the perch.

Richard

dankearl
10-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Some very nice light you had and a very nice scene.
I also think a bit off the right would look nice.

John Cooper
10-27-2012, 11:42 PM
A very appealing image Jamie of this magnificient Snowy owl. The warm colours of the BG and the complimentry blue in the sky work well here. I agree a small crop on the right would strengthen the composition for me.

Frank Schauf
10-28-2012, 05:34 AM
Gorgeous light, comp and pose. Congrats on this one, Jamie.

Bill Jobes
10-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Great job preserving the whites in this beautiful golden light.

The facial expression is priceless. Almost as if the owl's thinking: "Here I am, so what's it to ya, bubb ?" :bg3:

Stu Bowie
10-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Hi Jamie, great head turn and eye contact, and yes, the light is sweet. Good DOF, well exposed on the whites, and I would take a bit off the top, as Im finding the blue a touch overpowering, among the rest of the earthy tones.

Jamie Douglas
10-28-2012, 11:40 AM
I'll trade you a snowy egret for a snowy owl?! I hope someday to get a shot at one of these. I like the head turn and the nice brown tones . I'd be tempted to take a little off the right side .

Cheers Cheryl, after looking at this a little more I see that a touch more off the RHS would work. I would have happily traded you last winter when we had the snowy owl invasion, however this year I don't have an owl to trade, well not yet at least. I might be in Florida in March/April next year so maybe you could point me in the right direction of an egret or two :bg3:

Congrats on your NB award :5

Jamie Douglas
10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll take a look at the facial details again and maybe I just need to work the whites a litttle more.

Stuart, I have to say that I like the blue sky line, adds some interest to the image IMO, the colours compliment each other but I can see where you are coming from.

Cheers

Jamie

Karl Egressy
10-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Beautiful shot, Jamie. I hope some will come to our way this year.

arash_hazeghi
10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
very nice look back and display of enviroment. I like the BG too. I see a slight yellow cast on my screen.

Jamie Douglas
10-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Cheers Karl and Arash.

Arash, the light was crazy good that evening and lit everything up a golden colour but let me check the colous in PS.

Thanks guys

Jamie

Jim Crosswell
10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
I like the eye contact, light, setting and BG. Well done Jamie.