PDA

View Full Version : Kalahari Lion

Vincent Grafhorst
04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Seems lions are popular in this forum lately, so I thought let me post another one as well. This is the same lion as in my previous post. I am sure there will be many different opinions on this one again...

Khutse Game Reserve, central kalahari, Botswana.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/200
Av( Aperture Value ) 6.3
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation -1/3
ISO Speed 200
Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length 500.0 mm
Image Size 3888x2592
Image Quality RAW
Flash Off
White Balance Mode Color Temperature(5200K)
AF Mode One-Shot AF

Vincent Grafhorst
www.khwaiphotography.com (http://www.khwaiphotography.com)
vincent@khwaiphotography.com (vincent@khwaiphotography.com)

Cindy Cone
04-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Never too many lions, so keep posting them!

I think I like this better than the earlier one, preferring more of the profile here. I can't decide if I like the OOF bushes in the foreground or not. Initially, I thought that was what bothered me the most in the image, but now I'm wondering if it helps make the lion look more hidden and secretive.

peter delaney
04-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Hi Vincent

I have just looked at your other image , this was is definitely better ,I know it is all subjective but the other seem flat and no real subject interest that one could connect with.

This image the light seems a bit harsh and slightly overexposed especially with blown sky which I personally would crop. I know you are showing the subject in its natural setting but I think the FG and BG is too distracting.

I am wondering if you have changed your PP in any way ?

Thanks for sharing and I am sure this image will have many different opinions which is what the forum is all about:)

Steve Maxson
04-25-2008, 11:02 AM
I like this image because it is intriguing. Intriguing because the lion is not looking at you - causing one to wonder what it is looking at. To me, this type of image is often more interesting that the one with the "perfect" head angle. :)

Steve Canuel
04-25-2008, 09:56 PM
I like this one better too Vincent. More interest due to wondering what he's looking at. I personally like the OOF vegetation and the "sparkly" effect from the bright sun although I'd take a bit more off the top to eliminate the hardpan that's brightly visible.
Steve

Valerio Tarone
04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
better than the earlier,as in lateral ,but a bit underexposed.