PDA

View Full Version : Turret Arch, Arches NP

Michael Liskay
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Had the good fortune to spend 10 days in SE Utah visiting several national parks and other locations. Wonderful experience with multiple photographic ops. Here is a shot of Turret Arch taken through and from behind North Window. Bit tricky getting to this spot in the dark before sunrise but was worth the effort

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1862" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Don Railton
10-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Hi Michael.

Can you leave some details on the camera settings etc.. looks like an amazing spot to be with a camera..

thanks

DON

Michael Liskay
10-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes, a wonderful spot for a camera or just to be!

Camera 5D II, Lens EF 24 - 105 @ 40mm, ISO 200, 1.3s, f/16, -0.67ev

Roger Clark
10-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Hi Michael,

This is a well done classic sunrise image. You were lucky there were no people standing in the Arch. I like the crop (I would not change anything, except more interesting puffy clouds, but even so nice colors in the sunrise.) What time of year was this made? (looks like fall or late winter/early spring by the sun angle)

I haven't been to this spot since the digital era. I heard the park service closed the area where you made this image because they said it was too dangerous (probably some tourist fell and got hurt). There was a protest by some photographers, and I heard they re-opened it. It was open correct?

Nicely done.

Roger

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Hi Michael - nicely done with beautiful pastel sunrise tones. The only suggestion I have is to apply a bit more sharpening to the window.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
10-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Simply a gorgeous moment in time, Michael!
My biggest gripe here is that I would like to see it bigger. With the new 250kb limit you can safely upload landscape images at 1024px wide. Even if you have to save at quality 50 or so, the resulting image still looks good. :w3

Michael Liskay
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
This image was taken the first week of October, 2012. Yes, I did not have to negotiate any man-made barriers! Only Nature's! :t3

peter delaney
10-30-2012, 05:37 AM
Beautiful composition with wonderful hues..

congrats

Peter

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Nicely composed and love the colors too.

Roman Kurywczak
11-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Nice one Michael and way to get up there! I've done it at night! Love the colors and nicely composed.

James Fuller
11-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Michael,

This is a well done classic sunrise image. You were lucky there were no people standing in the Arch. I like the crop (I would not change anything, except more interesting puffy clouds, but even so nice colors in the sunrise.) What time of year was this made? (looks like fall or late winter/early spring by the sun angle)

I haven't been to this spot since the digital era. I heard the park service closed the area where you made this image because they said it was too dangerous (probably some tourist fell and got hurt). There was a protest by some photographers, and I heard they re-opened it. It was open correct?

Nicely done.

Roger

Roger, I was in Arches in August 2012, and this spot was closed to foot traffic.