PDA

View Full Version : Great Horned Owl

Alison McCoy
10-25-2012, 12:38 PM
I took this photo of a Great Horned Owl this morning around 8:00. Wandering through a local park looking for songbirds, I heard this owl hooting and was able to track him/her down getting ready to sleep in a cottonwood.

Camera 7D
Sigma 400mm with 2x TC
ISO 500
Handheld

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1845" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Randy Stout
10-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Alison:

Always fun to get a nice surprise visitor.

You did a good job holding that rig steady.

The image is underexposed as posted, and would present better with increased exposure. You may need to do a little dodging of the sky areas when you bring it up, but the bird will show much better.

Perhaps your choice of exposure was a creative choice to give a sense of him hiding in the shadows, with just the bit of light striking him, but I would at least try bringing up the exposure some.

Cheers

Randy

PS: I had a second, and did a very quick touch up, selectively brought up the exposure on the bird, dodged some of the lighter areas. You can do a much better job on the original. I still left it a bit dark to hopefully maintain the original feel.

Alison McCoy
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Thanks Randy. I appreciate the comments and critique. I will try making some of the adjustments you mentioned. I sat on the ground and braced against a log with the camera and lens on my knees. Just learning the tricks of manual focus.

Marina Scarr
10-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Lucky you to find this beauty on your morning walk. Randy made a good point on the exposure of the bird. I would run a little noise reduction (NR) on the background (BG) only b/c I am seeing noise esp on the upper right side.

Looking forward to seeing more of your images!

Shawn Zierman
10-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Love the eye contact...really makes the steep shooting angle work better.
I also like the sqarish crop. Good idea regarding some selective NR.
Looks like a hefty crop to me, as fine detail seems scant sketchy.....?

Bill Jobes
10-26-2012, 06:16 PM
I absolutely love this one, Alison !