PDA

View Full Version : Same Leaves, Different Look

Dennis Bishop
10-24-2012, 09:45 PM
A few minutes after the shot used in the last posting was taken, the sun was pretty much obscured by clouds. With the camera locked in the same position, I took another shot. And, then, another but this time out of focus. That was almost four years ago, so I really don't remember why. When I think back to my post-processing ideas back then, it's a bit of a mystery, but it sure makes sense with the way I do post-processing, now. Although the two photos were both used in the imaging sequence, the in-focus one was invisible unless it was used in the generation of other layers that were later placed above the out-of-focus (OOF) layer. I wanted to see how the out-of-focus layer would work. In addition, the previous posting was blazing with warmth, so I decided to cool this one down.

Nikon D2X, ISO 100, f/11, 1/10 sec, zoom lens at 55mm

post-processing

no Adobe Camera RAW
The in-focus layer was used to produce layers that primarily gave depth, texture, and detail to the out-of-focus leaves: two different Silver Efex layers (one at Luminosity blend mode, the other at Overlay), Fractalius B&W based on Sketch (Multiply), Alien Skin Snap Art Pencil Sketch in gray tones & white (Soft Light), and Alien Skin Snap Art Stylize Line Art in dark brown & white (Linear Burn)
Topaz Simplify -- Watercolor II on OOF layer (The change was important but localized and not dramatic.)
Flypaper Textures -- the same texture in two layers (Hard Light, Linear Dodge)
Selective Color adjustment layer -- masked to lighten the blacks in the spaces among the leaves in the OOF layer
Nik Color Efex -- Contrast Color Range
Photo Filter adjustment layer -- underwater
green border -- Difference blend mode to get variations in color
green gradient vignette -- Multiply blend mode

The leaves in the OOF layer were definitely out of focus but distinct enough to show most of the leaves. If anyone wants to see it, I'll be happy to post it.

Cheryl Slechta
10-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Dennis, I like the subdued colors and the slight glow (probably from the oof layers?). I'd love the see the blurred image:S3:

Dennis Bishop
10-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Here's the out-of-focus shot over which the visible layers were added.

Cheryl, I went back to the image and turned layers off one at a time. The out-of-focus shot might've contributed a bit to the glow you mentioned. The more important sources, though, appear to be the two texture layers, the two Silver Efex layers, and the Alien Skin Snap Art Pencil Sketch layer. The key was probably the blend modes at which they were applied.

Anita Bower
10-27-2012, 11:01 AM
This has such a different feel than your previous version--not better, not worse--just different. A wonderful example of how an image can be processed in different ways. I like this one a lot. Beautiful fall colors. I hadn't thought of working this way with in focus and out of focus layers. Very creative. It gives me something new to try. Beautiful results.

Bob Miller
10-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Dennis....This works for me! I love it! Great processing as usual!

denise ippolito
11-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Beautifully done. The sketched effect is wonderful!