PDA

View Full Version : Adult Snail Kite Defending Her Meal from Juvenile

Jim Neiger
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Osceola County, Fl - 1D3, 500mm, hand held from boat, 1/1600, F4, ISO 800, manual exposure (metered on green veg @0)

The juvenile was hungry and tried to attack the adult and steal her snail. She defended her meal quite easily as you can see here. Unfortunately her perch was the sign.

John Harper
04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Hi Jim

Really nice action shot of these 2 kites. were you using centre point focus only on this shot and in AI Servo mode?

Personally I have found the 1D3 to be very good at tracking high contrast subjects in good light better than my MKIIN, but it does struggle with low contrast subjects in flat lighting. does your experience bear these observations out.

John

Jim Neiger
04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Hi Jim

Really nice action shot of these 2 kites. were you using centre point focus only on this shot and in AI Servo mode?

Personally I have found the 1D3 to be very good at tracking high contrast subjects in good light better than my MKIIN, but it does struggle with low contrast subjects in flat lighting. does your experience bear these observations out.

John

No, my experience is just the opposite. The 1D3 AF works better in low light than the 1D2N.

The only situation where my 1D2N seems to work better than my 1D3 is with stacked TCs (1.4x + 2.0x) They both will AF, but the 1d3 seems to hunt a bit more in low light. Then again, I can use the 1D3 with stacked TCs in many situations where the 1D2N wouldn't be useable. This is because of the high ISO capabilities of the 1D3.

Lana Hays
04-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Jim
Way to catch the action of mom "smacking down" junior. It rather puts a new mean to the sign!!!! Well captured!!!!

Brian Wong
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi Jim!

Holy ###!!! I love the full upright wings, full feet extension, raised crest, the adult expression, the inverted bird, and the tip to tip details! The snail tells the story. The sign even ID's the birds. I want to see the wing tips and the expression on the juvenile (just teasing!:D) I really appreciate how difficult these are, and I really enjoy this one very much! Have a great time in Australia! Can't wait to see what you get there!

Tim Cee
04-24-2008, 07:54 PM
Incredible action, I love it.

Julie Kenward
04-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Fabulous action image! Wish you hadn't cropped that top wing but it's wonderful as is.

James Salywoda
04-25-2008, 08:18 PM
WOW!!!! Sweet shot Jim great poses captured and that sign puts it over the top.....