Cheryl Flory
10-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Canon 60D
f/10
1/640 sec
ISO 640
EC +.7
400 mm

I saw a small flock of Sandhills standing in a field last August. They let me gradually get rather close. I added canvas to the top and cropped off a third of the image from the bottom. And used Topaz detail filter on the feathers since the image was not very sharp. Was that due to not fast enough shutter?? I didn't want to push the ISO higher or the aperture more shallow. Is there another way? I did not have nor could I have used a tripod in the major road ditch I had to work in/through.

What do you think? Is there a way to make it less "boring" since it is mostly brown? Or is its problem more that the birds are not sharp enough?

Thanks!

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1772"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Robert Holguin
10-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Very nice shot.
You did a great job waiting to capture all 3 with excellent head angles. I really like the poses on all 3 of them especially the one in the back.
Comp wise you did well, but I would a tad on top and to the left. It might be me but it looks like it could use some ccw rotation.
I would also apply a tad more selective sharpening to each crane. Still a terrific shot one I would be happy to have.
Very well done.

Satish Ranadive
10-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Excellent image of cranes in environment.Nice head angles,colors and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Cheryl Flory
10-24-2012, 05:57 AM
thank you, everyone. This is such a helpful forum!

Shawn Zierman
10-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Nice eye contact from all three, the spacing is great, and they all have their own unique pose...works nicely.
I definitely like the idea of having more space on the top of the frame...too tight there as is.
Love the mottled plumage on this trio...At the time of capture, a lower shooting angle (if possible) was worth
exploring, in order to achieve better subject isolation against a more distant background....
Agree that a little counter clock wise rotation seems appropriate.

Doug Brown
10-24-2012, 12:16 PM
It's never easy to get good head angles on 3 birds in a single frame, so you did well! I would like to see a bit more room up top, and perhaps a little less on the right. Unfortunately there is no magic way to boost your shutter speed without bumping your ISO or opening up your aperture. You could have gone with ISO 800, because BG noise is hard to pick up on a busy BG such as this one. That might have gotten you the shutter speed you needed for additional sharpness.

Cheryl Flory
10-24-2012, 07:20 PM
thank you, Doug and Shawn, more good points to learn!