PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Image of the Week for the week ending September 7th, 2012: Andrew Mclachlan - Frogscape

Daniel Cadieux
10-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Congratulations Andrew!

I thought this one was probably most suited to this forum.

Photographed this one up at the family cottage on Horseshoe Lake near Parry Sound, Ontario. For three days in a row this large male Bullfrog sat under this raised up lilypad leaf before moving onto another area of the marsh. Perhaps he was driven off by all the aphids on the leaves around him.

I positioned the canoe along side of the frog and using Live View framed up several various compositions. Used a level in the hotshoe to keep everything on the level.I preferred this one for the arrangement of the clouds and blue sky. In the distance on the right side is a large cliff that rises up behind this wetland. The line of color running through the forest is trees that have died off from lack of rain. We have had a very dry summer over this way and I think it will result in a very poor display of autumn color this year.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D800 (in DX mode)
Nikon 12-24mm lens @ 24mm (36mm equivalent)
ISO 800
f22 @ 1/400 sec
Hand Held
2-stop grad filter to hold back the sky

Harshad Barve
10-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Congratulations Andrew! Outstanding image

Steve Kaluski
10-30-2012, 03:22 PM
Hi Andrew, one of the best images I have seen this year, your background knowledge in landscapes certainly played a part in this image I feel, a cracker!

Marina Scarr
10-31-2012, 07:45 PM
This image is totally deserving of IOTW Andrew. Love the POV.

Andrew McLachlan
11-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Thank you very much for the kind words Marina, Harshad and Steve...much appreciated.