PDA

View Full Version : Some Fall Color

Dennis Bishop
10-22-2012, 12:30 PM
This is the third incarnation of an image that started with a photo of weeping cherry leaves on the ground in early November four years ago. So far this year, the tree's leaves aren't as colorful. Somewhere between the first and second versions, I must've managed to lose some layers, so the post-processing is incomplete.

Nikon D2X, ISO 100, f/11, 1/15 sec, zoom lens at 55mm

post-processing

Topaz Simplify -- Watercolor II with a soft gray mask diagonally from the top left to bottom right. The leaves all have a myriad of small black spots. The image looks much better when it's not covered with them, so it's fortunate that Simplify hid them. However, it seemed like a good idea to bring some of them back in a subtle way with the mask.
Photo Filter adjustment layer -- The image seemed unbalanced with the red leaves at the top. Because of the flow of the leaves, bringing the red ones to the bottom with flipping and/or rotating didn't look right. So I used a red filter and masked it with a gradient extending up a short distance (vertical divine proportion) from the bottom.
Fractalius -- two B&W layers based on the Sketch preset, applied to the base layer and moved above the Topaz one, Multiply blend mode
Alien Skin Snap Art -- dark brown & white Stylize Line Art preset, also from the base layer, moved above the Topaz one, Multiply blend mode
vignette from masked Levels layer
narrow border from a medium gold leaf color, Difference blend mode to darken and get variations in tone

Cheryl Slechta
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Dennis, I love the fall colors and of course, your processing. The only leaf that bothers me is the rust colored one at the bottom left that is cut off. For some reason (maybe because it's pointed in a different direction) I think it disrupts the flow of the image.

Maureen Allen
10-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Beautiful shades of color, Dennis. Nice comp, lovely processing.

Mitch Carucci
10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Simple composition, but very effective. Well processed. The color jumps out of the frame and says Autumn.

Anita Bower
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Wonderful burst of color! Just enough detail to see the individual leaves. Color variations are most pleasing and evenly distributed. Great job!!! I'd say you use your processing tools to great effect.