PDA

View Full Version : Any gear and general photograpy lens suggestions for a 7d set-up

billshearer
10-22-2012, 07:24 AM
Hello,

I have decided to go with the Canon 7d and am working on getting a refurbished one through the Canon Loyalty Program. Now that I have committed to the Canon EOS system, I need to get my other gear together.

I am leaning towards the suggestion for my main bird photography lens to be the Canon 300mm f/4 with a 1.4 TC. Now I would like a general use lens. I was thinking a zoom in the 50-200 range. I won't have a lot left in my budget after the 7d, 300 f/4, and 1.4 TC, yet I would like to maintain some quality.

As for other gear, I was planning on converting one of my medium Camelbak backpacks into a camera pack. It has a rain cover, top, and side access, and waist strap. It is a pretty good option, I just need to get some sort of padding set-up.

I liked the idea of the cotton carrier, but am not sure if I can fit it into the budget. I am 6'7" so I can handle bigger things if needed, but I prefer lighter and cooler, cause my area is hot and humid.

How many batteries do you usually take out on an outing that will be a few hours. I would assume a minimum of two is best, same for memory cards. What brands of batteries do you use, always manufacturer? What about the best memory card brand? Do you usually have multiple smaller ones or fewer larger ones? I think I need at least two, but I am not sure how big they should be.

Any favorite cleaning supplies for the lens?

Since I may run into rain, how do most of you handle it with your gear? I know the 7d is weather sealed, but I don't want to press my luck. How about lens, battery and memory card care in the hot, humid rain?

Do any of you get up into the trees to try and get better pictures? If so, any suggestions on what might be needed.

I am sure there are many things I haven't thought of, so if any of you have any other suggestions, and tips, please feel free to share? It takes 2-8 wks to get stuff shipped to me, so I need to get my gear ordered soon, to get it before my trip to Pohnpei in late November.

Thanks again,
Bill

Graeme Sheppard
10-22-2012, 09:30 AM
I'll just touch on a couple of things.
I adore my 70-300L lens.
If you don't review your photos much or use live view, one battery will last for days. So I only own 2 - both Canon as I've found other brands are OK for a while, but can die rapidly and early. If using live view, I've never had to change a fully charged battery during the day.
I mainly use one 16GB card, but have 2 slower 4GB cards as well. I'd probably recommend having at least two 8GB cards. Fast cards do have slight, but real, improved performance. I tested 6 months back but can't remember what the difference was...

Roger Schmidt
10-23-2012, 12:47 PM
I agree with Graeme. I have the 70-300 and absolutely love it. I've photograped Bald Eagles with this lens as well as Bald Hornets and small, very smalll insects. I do a lot of bird and general nature photography. It's a fantastic "all-arouind" lens. I say, go for it!

I also have the battery grip that utilizes two batteries. I go out all day using auto focus and come home with plenty of reserve battery power. Plenty. I've come home with nearly 2000 captures and have plenty of reserve. I was a lifetime Nikon user until the digital cams hit the scene. I'm a Canon user now. I love my 7D. Nikons make great cameras, it's just that the 7D and 70-300 met my birding requirements.

My best,

Rog