PDA

View Full Version : An alternative viewpoint

Hilary Hann
10-22-2012, 03:10 AM
Same funny old koala, but rendered in b&w because I thought it showed off his fur and dozy expression better than the colour. The background was rather unfortunate and is much better in b&w than the colour.

7D; 100-400 @ 200; ISO800; 1/250 @ f5.6

Took a bit of a punt on handholding the lens whilst perched on the side of the hill with 1/250 ss, but it seems to be sharp.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1708"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
10-22-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi Hilary - this works rather well IMHO. Sharpness looks fine and you've got good detail. The banding of light and dark colors in the fur and mouth make b&w a good choice. Conversion looks good as well. This koala could become a new regular subject for you.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
10-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Thanks Rachel, it feels really nice posting a local animal for a change.

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Hilary, love the expression of this 'old koala'.

The builders are in at present so viewing on laptop, so will review again later once I can get things back in place & up & running, however I would look to bleaching out the whole BKG to white, but watch the BKG meshing with the fine hairs, might want to consider double processing and then merging?

Look forward to more locals, however I don't think Terry falls into that category, LOL. :S3:

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
10-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Very unique perspective, and I like it. The BG as is works for me. I think it would be too stark if it were all white.

Austin Thomas
10-22-2012, 02:31 PM
I like this because it is bold and simple and not the normal image we see of a Koala.

I am OK with the original background but I would probably try and soften the edge of the dark area top right in the background ( I hope that makes sense ).

tfs

Austin

Rachel Hollander
10-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Something strange seems to have happened with Steve's repost as there is now a yellow fringe around the koala and a prominent yellow area by the chin.

Rachel

Hilary Hann
10-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Thank you everyone for all the comments and encouragement with this image.
Steve, I did contemplate originally removing the bits of tree bark in the background giving a cleaner look, however, the reason I chose not to was because leaving the slight indication of vegetation gave an increased depth. I quite like the added warmth but it has picked up some of the background which you can't see in the small jpg I posted, and it is this yellow patch that I think Rachel has noticed. Easy enough for me to remove in the full sized image.
Austin, thanks for pointing out that area with the harder edge, I'll definitely deal with it.
I am waiting for my old man koala to return to a tree where I can find him.

Russell Johnson
10-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Not much to add to the discussion above, I guess I prefer Steve's RP for the background.

Morkel Erasmus
10-22-2012, 06:19 PM
I like this sideshot of an animal often seen in trees and not this close (at least not wild ones).
High key is the way to go here as per Steve's repost...something weird with Steve's version though, presume the laptop screen didn't show that colour gradient...:t3
I like the tonal range and contrast you achieved.

Hilary Hann
10-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks Russell and Morkel, y'all may be right about the background but I'm not convinced yet! :S3:

Steve Kaluski
10-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Hi Hilary, will delete my RP and RP later. Can't tell on this laptop screen unless you tilt it to an obscure level and without Rachel's comment could not tell, hate laptops! :w3

Gerald Kelberg
10-23-2012, 01:41 AM
Really nice to see more of your Koala - great profile and wonderful texture in the fur. Personally, I like the hint of the foliage in the background - giving some context.

Thanks for sharing,

Gerald