PDA

View Full Version : B&W Leopard

Russell Johnson
10-21-2012, 08:21 AM
Taken in the Northern Kwando, way back in May 2008, when a good rainy season provided plenty of tall grass and cover.

5D +500mm
1/500 @F4
ISO200

The B&W work was an experiment in PS. Luminosity masks and dodge/burning, as I was trying to avoid using Silver Effex.

Added a slight cooling filter, though felt I could either way on that one.

Comments and Critiques more than welcome....

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1779" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Hi Russell - well done on the conversion. I love the way the light is hitting the leopard. Too bad about that one blade across the leopard's face (as is so often the case). I see why you have as much space above as you do (to include the entire stalk) but I would prefer a little less above and a little more room below. Overall, a really well done image. You should experiment with b&w more often.

TFS,
Rachel

peter delaney
10-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi Rusell
lovely image, agree with Rachel about light on leopard ... only suggestion I would make is to toned down the light grasses in FG as they detract from subject .The bush on the lhs also makes your eye wander so I would either bring back some detail by lightening it a bit or I would darken the opposite side to balance image ..
TFS
Peter

Hilary Hann
10-21-2012, 09:32 PM
This is a really lovely image and I think you've done a good job with the conversion. I think Peter makes excellent points on toning down the light grasses and balancing the dark bush on the left. I don't mind the crop. Nice work.

Steve Kaluski
10-22-2012, 08:11 AM
Hi Russell, when I see images like this, it 'kicks my butt' and reminds me to think more about shooting wilder and giving the subject context. The above comments can only move the image forward and enhance it even more. Good call on the conversion and would appreciate a RP taking on board the comments if you have time.

Just watch the size of © within the image. :w3

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Lovely light and environment which adds so nicely to this scene. Bummer on that one grass. Agree with Steve wholeheartedly that this type of image reminds me that I have to remember to shoot wide. One of my goals for this coming season is to always bring my wide angle with me and think WIDE.

Morkel Erasmus
10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
I like this loads, Russel...
Great tonal range and overall comp. Good suggestions by Peter would make it sing even more.
I specifically love wildlife photography that shows the environment. Sometimes it's about shooting with a wider lens, and sometimes it's about not driving as close as we'd initially like to, like you probably did here (seeing that you shot with a 500mm :bg3:).

Russell Johnson
10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Thanks for all the feedback, I tend to shoot wide, even with a 500mm.....I guess it comes from continually trying for a decent POV.

had a little play when I got back this evening (really should not be posting at midnight UK time :2eyes2:)

Russell Johnson
10-22-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Russell - well done on the conversion. I love the way the light is hitting the leopard. Too bad about that one blade across the leopard's face (as is so often the case). I see why you have as much space above as you do (to include the entire stalk) but I would prefer a little less above and a little more room below. Overall, a really well done image. You should experiment with b&w more often.

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks, Rachel. I think the grass strand could just be from the conversion, if you are looking at the line running through the nose. Here is a crop from the RAW, with just sharpening applied for web.