PDA

View Full Version : Dead Vlei #3

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2012, 08:05 AM
This is one of the smaller pans as you walk into Dead Vlei. The haze at the horizon is actually blowing sand.

Canon 5D3
16-35 II @ 35mm
1/320
f8
ISO 100
HH, CP, cropped for comp, levels, curves, Hougaard Malan action, sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1796" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Andrew McLachlan
10-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Hi Rachel, that is one barren looking landscape. You captured that well with this comp. If it were mine I might be tempted to crop about half the sky out to accentuate the foreground a little more.

Roman Kurywczak
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Rachel,
I with Andrew on the sky as it will focus more attention on the FG. Nice use of the bush in the FG too.

Valerio Tarone
10-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I agree with andrew that cropping the sky should accentuate the FG. The sky seems to be too luminescent.

Morkel Erasmus
10-26-2012, 04:27 PM
Nice variation on the 'usual' dead trees, Rachel. I have to agree on losing some of the sky - just not all of that nice deep blue at the top :w3
Burning the shadows on the salt cracks/flats should add some nice contrast.

Anette Mossbacher
10-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Rachel,

I like it as it is. :bg3:

Thanks a lot for your tips for that area. I started as the last person in the "queue" from inside the park at 6am. Thought I just look where the masses will go first. Surprise they all stopped at the first big famous dune. Well I went than straight to the end to find myself alone. Later on another couple joined me. 1 1/2 hours later the "tourist migration" was on, but I was done with the first part already :bg3:
I had 2 nights there, plenty of time to check out just every corner and what I wanted to do in the morning and evening.

Ciao
Anette

Rachel Hollander
10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks everyone, I'll take a look at the suggested crop and burning the shadows. Anette - glad the tips were helpful. Looking forward to seeing your images from Namibia.

Rachel