PDA

View Full Version : Fox

Oscar Dewhurst
10-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I haven't posted an image on here for a while. Things have been fairly hectic with university applications recently, and in the past week I've been at the Natural History Museum every day since Tuesday! Will be there again tomorrow for Wildphotos. I had an image commended in this year's Veolia Environnement Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition, which I am really pleased about. Being at the various events over the last week has really made me determined to try and get there again one year, as to be able to speak with some of the top photographers in the world is incredible. Well done to Ofer Levy and Jasper Doest for their images, as well as all the other photographers!

I recently stumbled across a remarkably tame young Fox on a gold course which I play on. It isn't bothered by me at all, and I can get very close to it. I'll probably be posting a fair few images of it over the next couple of weeks, as well as maybe some Deer. This was one taken of another fox which emerged from the bushes.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8103380915_a31724df5b_b.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Oscar

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi Oscar - congrats on the commended image! Nice low pov and I also like the curled tongue and the fallen leaves. I would consider burning/darkening the oof grass in the fg a bit as it draws my eye. Interesting that you found him on the golf course. Looking forward to seeing more shots of him.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Hi Oscar, firstly and this is just 'Housekeeping', please can you add the EXIF data to the thread, thanks. :w3

I guess people must be feeding the fox for it to be so comfortable and not frightened of humans, not ideal I fear, as things have got a habit of going bad sadly.

To the image, I think the grass is a little vibrant, although the time of day is not disclosed, however I would look at taming the greens and perhaps the saturation too. Also adjusting slightly the Exposure as an adjustments layer also helps. I get the impression the face has been lightened as there are no real blacks, more noticeable on the lower jaw, tips of the ears and tail, have you adjusted anything? I know how you like OOF mush in the FG so going even lower I think would have been better, but as this is a golf course then any tall grass would not be an option sadly. The arched back, yawn I do like, but feel the crop could be a bit tighter as the subject is a little lost within frame for me.

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
10-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Oscar, firstly congrats again on your achievement, well deserved :5
I too feel the image can be cropped tighter, and would benefit from running Robert's luminosity mask adjustment (see sticky thread at the top of Wildlife section).
I hope the foxes aren't being fed, in any case it's good being able to get close to such lovely creatures.

Oscar Dewhurst
10-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the comments about wpoty and this image.

Steve I
don't know of anyone who is feeding it, and so I don't know whether it
is or not. I'm fairly sure that the members wouldn't feed it, so the
only people that might are the greenkeepers, so that's a possibility. It
was taken early afternoon in overcast conditions. I could have gone
lower, but I had been photographing another fox before this one appeared
out of the bushes. It started yawning almost immediately and I wanted
to get the shot!

Morkel, I would try it but I only have elements, so can't use curves.

Is this better?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8195/8124415775_bd46fbeaa3_b.jpg

Techs:
Nikon D300s
Nikon 200-400mm f4 VR
F4.5
1/320s
ISO 640

Oscar

Steve Kaluski
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Hi Oscar, OK, it's just I hate to see Foxes getting to comfortable with humans, as it can only lead to trouble at times and invariably it's not the foxes doing. I would look to asking Santa for a helping hand to invest in PS as the world will then open up for you. Things like LR and NIk can follow once you build your skill set and understand the architecture and what it can do. I think the crop is better. :w3

cheers
Steve