Matt Smith
10-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Canon 7D
EF-S10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
10mm
0.4 Exposure
100 ISO
-1/3 EV

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1741"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

vansayler
10-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Nice Color. I am near Brevard, North Carolina and the color is very poor here, at least where I have been looking.

Matt Smith
10-20-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks Vansayler. Hopefully the colors are nice in cherokee and the rest of the Smoky Mountains. I took this photo in Oct. 2010.

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Hi Matt - Nice fall colors. I hope to see some when I head to the Smokies shortly. I like the overall comp with the placement of the waterfall and the ss to blur the water. I would open up the darker shadow areas a little. There's detail there that you can bring out. At the same time the lighter area seems to have lost a lot of detail. I'm not sure if that's a function of the exposure when you captured the image or if it's from pp. I hope to see more of your landscapes.

TFS,
Rachel

Matt Smith
10-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks RH. Hope the weather and color is good foe your trip to SMNP. Have you been to Cataloochee Valley to see the Elk? Nice spot.

Catalooch

Andrew McLachlan
10-22-2012, 07:07 PM
Hi Matt, this looks like a lovely woodland scene. The autumn colors are lovely. I agree with Rachel on the shadows. The shadows as presented look quite black and detailess. Opening up the shadows should also help brighten the foreground some too. I'd love to see a repost when you get time.

Morkel Erasmus
10-23-2012, 03:22 AM
It's a dreamy scene with nice colours and mood. Andrew hit the nail on the head for me ito critique. Would love to see a repost when you have time, Matt! :5

Roman Kurywczak
10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Hey Matt,
Looks like the shadows could be opened up a bit as others have mentioned. I would also consider toning down the UR light area.....maybe even cropping it out. All in all minor tweaks to a very nice image.

Roger Clark
10-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Hello Matt,

I really like this image. It has that Fujichrome Velvia look and I wouldn't want to lose that. However, having said that, I agree with others about the shadows. I'm attaching the histogram of your image. The shadows are clipped at zero and that is too much contrast. I would like to see the image reprocessed so that the shadows still are deep, but just a hint above zero, so a hint of detail. I also would have liked to seen more of the falls, but I can understand that you may not have been able to move to your right. I also like the bright spot as is at upper right, as it says to me that some sun is coming through in a foggy scene, which adds a lot to the mood. It would also be ok if it were reduced a touch, but not too much or the mood would be lost.

Roger