PDA

View Full Version : A Koala in my Garden

Hilary Hann
10-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Not too sure how this will be received, but every few days I come across a koala visiting one of the trees in our property and everytime I come away disappointed with the ordinariness of the photos I take. This morning I was out feeding the horses and watching the many parrots nesting in tree hollows when I had the feeling that I was being watched. A large male koala was looking at me from about 2 metres away so I spent some time trying for something a little more interesting than the usual. Trouble is, the gum tree branches and leaves are always in the wrong spot. So this is a photo of his front paw and I quite liked it as I still get a feeling for the eucalypts and like seeing the very large and strong claws.

All comments and suggestions welcomed.

7D; 100-400 @ 400; ISO800 (in the shade of the tree); 1/500 @ f5.6. Hand held, slight crop only.

<iframe width="468" height="60" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1708"><p>Sorry your browser does not support iFrame</p></iframe>

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Hi Hilary, I think this is what we may refer to as a 'marmite' shot, some will love it, some may not, however I think it is great to see a different take on things and to explore other avenues.

Personally, if you hadn't said it was a Koala, then I would never have guessed, but realise they do need something of this build for climbing trees.

I like the way the paw/claws slightly curl in, conveying a grabbing motion and the inclusion of the tree, although not a lover of the small branch. I think you can lose the slight blue hue to the paw/claws and I get the impression you lightened the inner palm, if you have, I might go back to being slightly darker. It would, I feel, also benefit from a small Curves adjustment and more selective USM to help define things more, especially the claws, easier on the RAW. Personally I might lose the branch running diagonally over your name to make it a little cleaner, likewise a little off the RHS, but as I say, all personal tastes.

Nice to see something different. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Hilary Hann
10-19-2012, 02:02 AM
Thanks Steve for the good suggestions. I'm comfortable with it not being obviously a koala, but will take all the ideas on board. :bg3:

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Hi Hilary - I really like shots like this in general and this is no exception. I too would have never known it was a koala without your saying so. Nice sharpness and detail which convey a bit of power. I can't comment on color because I'm not familiar enough with koalas. My initial thought was for a portrait crop but the landscape comp has grown on me, though I would prefer it without the small branch by your name. I do like the golden tones of the bg. Nicely seen and captured.

TFS,
Rachel

PhilCook
10-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Who would ever figure a Koala could be so wicked looking....I like it for something different, and from another perspective I've handled quite a few of these seemingly cute little fluff balls, the nasty claws show a very different aspect

Gerald Kelberg
10-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Hi Hilary,

This really isn't the "Koala in my garden" shot I expected! Using the detail to imply the animal like this can be very powerful - and this is. I also like the dappled light and shade of the eucalyptus in the background. I agree with Steve on the 'palm of the hand' and the only other thing that I might change is to give a sliver more space above the claw.

We don't see many koalas here, so to see one so different is a real treat!

Thanks,

Gerald

Steve Kaluski
10-20-2012, 04:37 AM
I'm comfortable with it not being obviously a koala

That's why it's an interesting shot Hilary.

Marc Mol
10-20-2012, 06:17 AM
I doubt many would have known this species just from the claw Hilary, quite menacing and certainly a different take on your average koala image, nicely seen, love the BG.
TFS

Hilary Hann
10-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I am trying hard to see something new every time I look at taking a photo but it means that I have a lot more 'rubbish bin' shots. Hopefully it will be useful training before my next trip. Looked for my koala today, but who knows which tree is is sitting in now.

Morkel Erasmus
10-21-2012, 02:32 PM
I love this Hilary. Something really different, and quite evocative I might add. I don' find the BG distracting at all, and would perhaps just brighten the claw a tad?