PDA

View Full Version : Golden-crowned Kinglet

Norm Dulak
10-18-2012, 04:05 PM
Nikon D7000 w/Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 vr lens @ 300mm, hand held
ISO 800; f/5.6, 1/1000 sec.; MM -0.33
PP: Topaz DeNoise 4; PS CS6: crop, levels, SH and sharpen

Yesterday, tiny insects formed clouds in the sky, and migrating ruby-crowned and golden-crowned kinglets took advantage. I positioned myself near a dogwood and a spruce tree and hoped for the best. The image shown here is the best of many attempts.

My apologies for the busy background, that I tried to minimize by opening my lens. But these guys are fast, and they never stop moving.

Norm

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1759" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Norm you have 30 views and not one comment and my guess it the harsh light was a turn off. It is such a great shot ,cute pose, nice setting and detail but the light is just to harsh to do your attempt any good. I say this with full respect of your ability and offer you my opinion only to encourage you to seek softer light either early or later in the day. I learned this the hard way my first years of shooting non stop. I found that I just couldn't produce good images at high noon (well maybe here and there I get lucky) and learned to get out there first lightor come back later. Hey it's a great excuse for a siesta LOL It makes all the difference to me.

Karl Egressy
10-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Nice looking cutie. I like the jellow crest showing so well.

Robert Holguin
10-19-2012, 02:28 AM
Very nice shot.
I really like the pose and nice detail.
Yes light is a bit harsh, but I dont it's terrible either. I think going back to raw file and playing around with the exposure might do the trick.
Well done.

Norm Dulak
10-20-2012, 07:13 AM
Thanks everyone.

Cheryl is right; the light was pretty strong. But the kinglets are not lingering here, only passing through in their migration. I'll hope for better conditions in the future, but when you see them you have to do your best with available lighting at the time.

Following Robert's suggestion, I went back to my RAW file and applied a little negative compensation in CS6 CR, with the result shown here. Hopefully, this is better.

Norm

Daniel Cadieux
10-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Norm ,the repost looks great. Love the raised crest, which none of the many individuals I photographed recently gave me! Sharp with good details. The lower right corner could be toned down as it attracts attention away from the subject. Great job on these busy little buggers!!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
10-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Much better Norm.What a cutie and I have never been able to get one myself. Great work.