PDA

View Full Version : Cherax destructor..." Yabby "

PhilCook
10-17-2012, 01:37 AM
OK, I confess the main reason I am posting this images is because I love the name of this tasty crustacean :t3...Cherax destructor :eek3:

Just spent two weeks in a very remote part of Australia, very arid lands but with a clean and unpolluted river channel running through it's heart. The river is brimming with what we call Yabbies here, a type of freshwater Lobster { Crawdads in the USA I think } and caught bucket loads of them every day, some up to 12inches in length........so very delicious with a cold beer.....or two.

The general colour is olive blue/green, but this one was extra blue and worthy of a shot before consuming.

Nikon D300 + Tamron 28/75.....28mm, f13, 1/50, f13, ISO 200 + 0.7EV, hand held spur of the moment shot in bright sunshine....basic edit, crop, sharpen, contrast

<iframe width="468" scrolling="no" height="60" frameborder="0" style="border:none;" border="0" src="http://mer54715.datafeedfile.com/widget/aff_widget_prdt_generate-2.0.php?aff_num=10536&aff_net=1&widget_num=1740" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"><p>Your browser does not support iFrame.</p></iframe>

Jonathan Ashton
10-17-2012, 11:46 AM
It's a pretty good shot Phil, I appreciate hand held may have been the only option and he may not have kept still, hence the right claw is not quite in focus and the left antenna is going just out of the frame. Other than that I think it is good and well exposed etc, the colours are remarkable. If the colours reflect taste he must have been very good indeed especially with a beer or two.

Steve Maxson
10-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Phil. The blue colors are striking! I haven't seen any crayfish like this here in the US. Good sharpness within your DOF - this would be even better if that front claw was sharp! You might have used ISO 400 which would allow you to use f/16 to get a little more depth. I would wish that the antenna didn't go through the eye - but an impressive critter nonetheless!

PhilCook
10-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks for looking, I probably have a a better image than this, I'll have to search the files. Surprised you haven't seen any Crayfish/Lobsters like this in the US, common here especially in more remote rivers and creeks where there is a personal bag limit of 200 per person per day

Steve Maxson
10-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi Phil - I could have been a little more clear. I've seen lots of crayfish - they are common in our lakes - I just haven't seen any bright blue ones like yours. :S3:
Thanks for looking, I probably have a a better image than this, I'll have to search the files. Surprised you haven't seen any Crayfish/Lobsters like this in the US, common here especially in more remote rivers and creeks where there is a personal bag limit of 200 per person per day

Marina Scarr
10-21-2012, 11:59 AM
What a great looking lobster. Love those colors. The face is sharp but I wish the antenna were not going through the eye.

Bob Miller
10-27-2012, 10:51 PM
Phil.....nice image ......You might consider putting a vignette on this image.....all the ligtness around the subject defocuses the attention off your subject!