PDA

View Full Version : 1DX finally has crosstype f/8 AF

Pao Dolina
10-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Canon U.S.A. Expands The EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera Autofocus Capabilities With New Firmware Update
Wednesday, October 17, 2012
From Canon USA:

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., October 17, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced a new firmware update in response to user requests which further enhances the capabilities of Canon's flagship EOS-1D X Digital SLR camera. The EOS-1D X will now be capable of AF point illumination during AI Servo AF and cross-type AF for maximum apertures as small as f/8. The new firmware update is available now at no charge from the Canon U.S.A. website and can be downloaded by end users or through Canon Factory Service Centers.

AF Point Illumination During AI Servo AF
To support the needs of wedding, portrait, sports, wildlife, and theatrical performance photographers working in low light, the new firmware allows AF points in the EOS-1D X's viewfinder to be illuminated in red when the shutter button is pressed halfway during AI Servo AF, for easy viewing of the selected point. This valuable feature will enhance the photographers' ability to aim the camera accurately in low-light conditions, and when photographing dark subjects. To preserve exposure-metering accuracy, illumination is intermittent, not continuous. Three choices will be selectable from the menu system - Non-illuminated, Illuminated (Normal) and Illuminated (Brighter).

Cross-Type AF Support at f/8
The EOS-1D X is equipped with an innovative 61-point High Density Reticular AF System featuring up to 41 cross-type AF points, depending on the lens in use. The cross-type AF points recognize a wide variety of subject matter, making them highly desirable for maximum autofocus performance. Until now, cross-type AF on the EOS-1D X has been limited to EF lenses and lens/extender combinations with a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or larger. The new firmware allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point even when the maximum aperture of a Canon EF lens/extender combination becomes as small as f/8. Ideal for wildlife photographers and others who often use EF super-telephoto lenses with extenders, this new feature greatly expands the range of EF lens/extender combinations that support autofocus when used with the EOS-1D X.

If AF point expansion is selected with an f/8 maximum aperture lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point will act as AF Assist points. This option effectively expands the size of the AF detection area to enhance autofocus performance with subjects that are small in the frame and difficult to track, such as small animals and birds in flight. AF points above and below the center will be sensitive to vertical contrast, while points to the left and right will be sensitive to horizontal contrast.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/News/2012/Canon-1D-X-AF-Group.jpg

Canon 1D X Autofocus Group

Please visit the following website for complete information on the firmware update:
http://www.usa.canon.com/eos1dxfirmwareupdate

Charles Glatzer
10-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Oh yeah! I see some Kenko converters for sale in the near future.

Best,

Chas

Daniel Cadieux
10-17-2012, 09:35 AM
This news will make for lots of happy people in the Canon camp!

Pao Dolina
10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
It is possible to see f/8 AF for the 5D3 considering the D800 has it.

I hope to see a 4K firmware for the 1DX soon. The 1DC is identical internally to a 1DX.

Jamie Douglas
10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/10/canon-eos-1d-x-firmware-update-addresses-f8-red-af-points-in-ai-servo/

I think this is an official announcement.

Good news

Jamie

John Chardine
10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
That certainly is good news and cheaper than buying a Kenko tc. Rather mischievous of Canon to initially ship a hobbled product I think.

Roger Clark
10-17-2012, 11:09 AM
I guess that proves it was not a hardware problem making f/8 AF impossible.

fabiobernardino
10-17-2012, 11:48 AM
It must be the numbers of sales of the Nikon D600. Although it does not compete directly with the 1D-X, due to frame rate, if Canon allows AF @ f8 with the 5D mk3, it would steal a lot of sales from the 1D-X. So for those who really need fast FPS, let's give f8 to them before they switch to Nikon.

By the way, 5D mk3 + 24-105 L IS still more expensive than Nikon D600 + 24-120 f4 VR + 50/1.4. Which would also be a great travel system. And AF works at f8.

I think Canon shall cut some prices next week at Photo Plus as I can't see anyone who isn't linked to a system going for a Canon DSLR when Nikon is topping the Dxo Score and has more features for less money.

Martin Lord
10-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Just saw this announcement too. 4K firmware upgrade is not going to happen IMO and thankfully this might not be the top concern on this forum :-)

The other issue they fix is AF point illumination, although I am reserving judgement until I try it. This trouble was probably the #1 complain with the 1Dx for general use. Plain silly, the camera performs at very high ISO we cant see where we are focusing while using it in low light.

The Kenko solution was not so good. The 1.4x was acceptable but not as sharp as the canon 1.4 III. Also, some folks had troubles with the mechanics, at least one 1Dx fell of it that I read about. It's a little tricky to walk around the marsh with with a 1dX holding to a cheap piece of plastic holding to a large lens. The Kenko 2X is basically useless optically. I canned my project to move the kenko electronics to a canon 2X (thank god) as it seemed to me like the exposure offset with a kenko 2X and 600 II was not constant. The 1.4X is ok on this this front.

That is the best news coming out of Canon in a while. The driver does not seem posted yet in US or Japan. Standing by, cant wait to try this out.

arash_hazeghi
10-17-2012, 12:25 PM
I have a feeling this will not happen for the 5D3 :(

Steve Uffman
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
I don't see it posted in the US either..when I get on the link I get a blank screen...when I go to the Canon site, I get 1.06 which is the 8/28 upgrade..thoughts?

Doug Brown
10-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Rather mischievous of Canon to initially ship a hobbled product I think.

Agreed!

arash_hazeghi
10-17-2012, 04:26 PM
interesting the link is not valid. was this actually posted on Canon website at any point or one of those rumor sites?

Don Nelson
10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Only on Canon Rumors then propagated across the different sites.
I checked and there is no press/product advisory announcement yet on canonusa.com -- and they have announced all other firmware upgrades at http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer?pageKeyCode=prdAdvViewAll
However, the fact we get a blank page back from the link and not a "404" indicates something is going to happen.

arash_hazeghi
10-17-2012, 04:56 PM
so it might be a fake after all lol. should wait and see!

Don Nelson
10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
We'll see, Arash. But....
canonrumors.com updated with
"UPDATE
It appears as though Canon jumped the gun on this announcement, and have pulled the press release. However, I do expect to see it some time in the 7 days. I would also hope to see a 5D Mark III firmware update as well. I’ll keep asking around.
"

ANd the fact that the blank page exists at the address given either Canon supports a hoax (unlikely) or pulled it....

Charles Glatzer
10-17-2012, 08:13 PM
The link is now active http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/EOS1DX_firmware

Chas

Don Nelson
10-17-2012, 08:36 PM
new firmware is available at canonusa.com
Also new update of DPP and EOS Utility

Jim Chagares
10-17-2012, 09:10 PM
The Canon 800mm is not listed as a compatible lens for the firmware upgrade.

Okay, I found it in the list. It was out of order from the other lenses in the list.

Charles Glatzer
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
If the in-camera grid is enabled it will blink RED along with the active RED AF point when depressing the shutter halfway. Most will find this distracting to say the least. I suggest only putting the grid on when necessary or use an E screen if preferred. And, only choose the Illuminated AF point during AI Servo function when necessary.

Chas

Blake Cook
10-17-2012, 11:28 PM
<embed id="application/x-exifeverywhere" type="application/x-exifeverywhere" width="0" height="0">Loaded the firmware and it works like a charm with my 600f/4 IS MkII and Canon 2x MkII. Amazing 0 MA where the same 2x needed more than +20 ma on my old 600 IS. Af reasonable fast in indoor incandescent ISO 10k, 1/160, f/8 worked easily with both One Shot and Ai-Servo. 1/15th, ISO 6400 f/8 only One shot worked. But thats dark. Can't wait to see some daylight to see if its up to BIF (not that I am).

Steve Uffman
10-18-2012, 08:27 AM
installed and working well here in early am tests. will explore Chas suggestions

Martin Lord
10-18-2012, 12:04 PM
It sure works 'as advertized' and this upgrade is most welcome. I should probably quit complaining as it is unlikely that we will get more functional firmware upgrades from Canon at this point, but still... The 600 II + Kenko 2X would focus just fine and fast with any AF point and any AF mode; with firmware 1.1.1 we are still stuck with mode spot+single+expand in the center only. Same applies to the 800 + kenko 1.4 although there are restrictions in the first place with the selectable sensors with the plain 800, at least accordingly to the documentation (I never used the 800).

The other 'fix', AF point illumination is better than nothing but has problems. In a quick test yesterday night, it seemed to me like the illumination level in AI servo varied with the lens combo attached. With a 24-105, it was perfectly fine, with at 600mm + 2X, illumination is way, way to bright, even with illumination set to normal, to the point of making it difficult to see through the viewfinder. I understand the blinking is a meetering necessity, but the dark cycle is pretty long, causing issues when shooting a moving subject. I do not think this upgrade will shutdown completely the complaining from the low-light night/indoors photographers.

In the mean time, the 600 II and 2X III are sharp and we have AF that should be as good as the m4, I can't wait for the weekend to give this a spin.

Charles Glatzer
10-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Martin,

It is not the lens focal length, but the minimum aperture (light coming through the lens) relative to the brightness level of the RED that makes it appear brighter or darker to the eye.

Chas

Richard Mc Donald
10-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Any real reason to upgrade to a III version TC from a II?

Richard

Charles Glatzer
10-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Any real reason to upgrade to a III version TC from a II?

Richard

Richard, You can find a lot of info on this topic by doing a search in these forums. In short the new 2x is significantly better, the 1.4 marginally sharper with better chroma correction. Note...both new converters are chipped to work more efficiently with the new lenses. If you have the new lenses...get the new converters.

Chas

Richard Mc Donald
10-20-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks Chas.

I did do a search before posting here and, as you said, found a good deal of information but thought I'd add birdphotographers.net as an additional source because there's nothing ike getting it straight from the horse's mouth.

Richardh

John Chardine
10-20-2012, 04:00 AM
Richard- I am finding that with the new 500/4II and the new TCs, the IQ fall-off shooting wide-open is basically non-existent. The differences with the first version of the lens were not big but I do see a difference with the new version. I assume this is partly to do with the TCs. I am also finding that the 2x TC is now a great performer with the new lens, as I said, even wide open. This was not my experience with the old version of the lens and the 2x TC III. So, if you have one of the version II super-teles, the version III TCs are the way to go.

Steve Uffman
10-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Considering the 500 or 600 upgrade. New gen of other lens well worth it IMO. Is that general consensus on these?